Help! Newbie technical advice needed

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mike x
Level 1
Level 1

Help! Newbie technical advice needed

Post by Mike x »

Help!
I bought a new computer on Amazon that was supposed to be loaded with Linux OS, but after the item was promptly shipped, I discovered that the default OS is windows 10 (unless b the buyer requests Linux before it is shipped).
This is the computer...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739 ... _qh_dp_hza
Notice that the ad clearly shows that it is a Linux computer.
The computer should arrive via DHL within a week.
Should I keep the computer and install Linux mint on a clean hard drive?
I have a software called Death Disk that quickly wipes the hard drive. I have used the Death Disk many times and then put on a new OS on the cleaned HD. The partition always is empty after the Death Disk wiping, which BTW takes only a few minutes to clean a 500 GB HD.
Or, should I demand a refund and buy elsewhere?
Or, should i ???
I also bought a new Acer HD 24" monitor that should be Linux compatible, ad well as a new Brother laser printer that is Linux compatible.
I just don't want to keep the computer and then find out Linux cannot find the drivers, or windows 10 is permanently imbedded.
I want to say goodbye to windows--forever.
Thank you!

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Help! Newbie technical advice needed

Post by turtlebay »

Load Mint (or any other Linux) on via a USB or DVD and select 'take over whole hard drive'. That will delete Windows and automatically format the hard drive for the correct format for Linux (Ext 4) and install Linux.

You don't need your 'Death Disk ', Linux is capable of doing it better.

Monitor should be fine and also the printer, but ask on this forum if you have any problems with the printer. I myself prefer HP printers, not just for the better quality of the print but also for ease of set up.

Best wishes.

PS I still use a HP laser 1022 mono from 2005 which works really well with any modern Linux
(https://www.cnet.com/reviews/hp-laserjet-1022-review/)

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I'd certainly talk to the seller about this given that it was advertised as a Linux machine. If thy are any good, they should offer a satisfactory resolution to your problem.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Mike x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike x »

This is a 3rd party seller (China) who has some stock in the USA and supposedly ships from the USA.
Amazon generally does not help with problems with 3rd party sellers, but they do have a policy that says the buyer is entitled to get a refund if the product ad is inaccurate.
I like the features of the computer and would like to keep it.
A similar USA product is over $1,000. The CPU alone is $400 new from Intel.
I configured a fanless mini with a USA website and it was about $1500 for similar features.
Thank you for the response. :D

Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

It might be better this way so that you can choose the exact distribution you want. Of course, I recommend Mint for most people/use cases. Which flavour is a subject of much debate but they are all fine. I use Cinnamon and that should be fine. They are all plenty configurable.

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Are those fanless CPUs really expensive in general? I would rather get me a used business laptop that is way cheaper but faster than that machine like this one: https://www.amazon.com/EliteBook-8570p- ... 70p+laptop
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"...takes only a few minutes to clean a 500 GB HD..." Three hours to zero 500GB would be typical. The drive looks wiped and still stuffed with old data if the job only take minutes.

If this matters to you, encrypt your Linux OS installation so you don't need to wipe all of it, just the LUKS header.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Mike x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike x »

They sell disk, hard drive eraser programs on ebay for a few bucks. Cleans 100% of the drive in about two minutes...not the bios. Put in the OS DVD and it will ask how much of the empty partition you want to use.
I have used my death disk drive eraser on several computers, about every 3--4 months (was doing a lot of downloading). Never u ad any trouble reloading windows or Linux (or both).
Now I don't download much, so maybe just re-install OS once a year. The computer always runs best when it is new OS. Like spring cleaning.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Mike x wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:52 am
Now I don't download much, so maybe just re-install OS once a year. The computer always runs best when it is new OS. Like spring cleaning.
That matches my experience on Windows. Not on Linux. Linux doesn't clutter up like Windows does, and stays 'fresh'; reinstalling every year seems excessive to me.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Mike x
Level 1
Level 1

Solved: Help! Newbie technical advice needed

Post by Mike x »

I got the computer and fortunately it did have Ubuntu installed, not win10.
Initially I could not get the computer to boot into bios and it turned out that the HMDI connection would not work. But when I used the DVI cable I was able to get into the Bios and then installed Linux Mint 19 onto the hard drive.
Unfortunately, the new Brother printer did not come with a Linux driver CD (only windows or mac drivers), so I was unable to use the duplex printing feature. Amazon support agreed with me that the product was advertised inaccurately because it was clearly listed as a "Linux" printer, and so a full refund is going to be given without paying a big restocking fee.
So now I will probably buy a new HP printer--that actually is Linux compatible-- and comes with a driver CD.
:( It's a darn shame that so many computer products profess to be Linux, yet they really only cater to windows and mac. Otherwise, they would provide Linux drivers that actually work.
I also feel sorry for the business fools who don't demand Linux because it would make their computing more versitile, safer and more affordable.
Thank you to those who provided advice. :D

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"...cleans 100% of the drive in about two minutes..." This is possible using the ATA Secure Erase command on a drive with IDE Encryption...but...the average HDD does not have IDE Encryption. Old data has to be wiped by writing new data...
o 100MB/s is typical for a SATA connection.
o 30MB/s is typical for a PATA or USB connection.

You might use your 'magic' eraser software and see what's left intact afterwards...

### Read-only scan of drive SDA for printable words with more than 7 characters ### Keypress Ctrl+C to quit ###
sudo strings -n 8 /dev/sda

### Read-only scan of drive SDA as a hexadecimal dump ### Keypress Ctrl+C to quit ###
sudo xxd /dev/sda
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi mike x...as regards printers, you said,
I will probably buy a new HP printer--that actually is Linux compatible-- and comes with a driver CD.
HP is probably the most Linux friendly of all the printers but i have yet to see their "driver CD", (or anyones Driver CD), that includes using the CD for a linux based machine, (i could be wrong but have never seen this)...i always have the new comer to linux go to his local walmart and get an HP printer that says on the box that it is liux compatible.

copy and paste this download site into your browsers address bar,
read it and possibly bookmark it into your browser

select the proper linux distro from the drop down box list that says, "select distros", then click the, "download hplip" button and just follow the easy instructions...that should be all you will need to do...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Solved: Help! Newbie technical advice needed

Post by cliffcoggin »

Mike x wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:57 am

Unfortunately, the new Brother printer did not come with a Linux driver CD (only windows or mac drivers), so I was unable to use the duplex printing feature. Amazon support agreed with me that the product was advertised inaccurately because it was clearly listed as a "Linux" printer, and so a full refund is going to be given without paying a big restocking fee.
So now I will probably buy a new HP printer--that actually is Linux compatible-- and comes with a driver CD.
You don't need any drivers on CDs for Linux printing, in fact such things don't exist. Your Linux OS will have or get the drivers it needs.
Cliff Coggin

hcentaur13
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hcentaur13 »

fire up synaptic and ask it for hplip. After install it wilkl you ask for the name of the printer to install its driver.

hplip will ask you for
- local printer interface
- or USB interface
- network interface
the printer is sitting on
give it the correct location after you've switched the printer on.

Follow the instructions it gives you.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mike x wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 pm
... Notice that the ad clearly shows that it is a Linux computer....
Sorry, but I don't think that's clear at all. It looks more to me like a cheaper option. And I wouldn't assume it'll work properly with Linux but if they do clearly state what peripherals are there you can look up their compatibility. Generally it's the wireless/network and graphics hardware you need to look for.

Return to “Newbie Questions”