MyPhoneExplorer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
johndeuf
Level 1
Level 1

MyPhoneExplorer

Post by johndeuf » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:24 am

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to install MyPhoneExplorer https://www.fjsoft.at on a Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa x64 Cinnamon through wine.
    I tested several versions of MyPhoneExplorer (MyPhoneExplorer_Setup_v1.8.11.exe, MyPhoneExplorer_Setup_v1.8.8.exe, MyPhoneExplorer_Setup_v1.8.6.exe)
      I tested the wine version of the system (3.0),
        I tested playonlinux with wine1.6, wine2.0, wine3.20,
          I tried to follow many of the recommendations described on https://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7617

Depending on the versions of the soft or wine, nothing works and the computer can even freeze !

So my question is : does anybody succeeded in installing a version of MyPhoneExplorer ? Which one and how ?

Thanks for your interest, sorry for my poor english (hope it will be enough to be understood)

PS : Wammu/Gammu doesn't work with my phone (honor 9 lite)
          linux mint 19.1 tessa x64 cinnamon (and mate)

Lord Boltar
          Level 5
          Level 5

Re: MyPhoneExplorer

Post by Lord Boltar » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Steps to access Android Devices in "Buntu" based OSes

FUSE file system for MTP enabled devices mtpfs using below commands in your Terminal or use your Synaptic Package Manager to get them

sudo apt-get install go-mtpfs

sudo apt-get install libmtp9 - most likely installed already

sudo apt-get install jmtpfs - might be install already

Plug in your Android device using USB cable in

From the Drop down menu on your Android device select "Connected to USB in Charging Mode" then select "File Transfer" Transfer files to Windows or MAC (MTP) you can now access all your folders on your device

After doing the above I have full access to my Samsung Android phone - no other software needed to transfer files

Hope this Helps
          IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

johndeuf
          Level 1
          Level 1

Post by johndeuf » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:50 pm

Thanks for your interest and your answer but I already have access to my phone's files (I can transfer files).
          I want to use MyPhoneExplorer to manage Contacts, SMS, Agenda, Notes and backup/restore my phone.
          linux mint 19.1 tessa x64 cinnamon (and mate)

Girafenaine
          Level 2
          Level 2

Post by Girafenaine » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Hello,

Just in case someone is interested :

On the editor’s website you can read a « linux thread » : https://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=195

One guy « fugazza » describes there the following 2015 process :
          Here is the most recent guide, how to install MyPhoneExplorer under Wine. Forget the process described on first page as well as the process on pages of our Polish friend and also everything using PlayOnLinux. The current process is much more simple. In fact it is described fully on MyPhoneExplorer page on WineHQ, it is only too brief - so here you are the HowTo with more explanation.

We will suppose, that you have already installed:
          * Wine 1.6
          * winetricks
          * MyPhoneExplorer_Setup_1.8.6.exe downloaded to your home directory

Now the installation. It is strongly recommended to install the MPE into separate wineprefix, so that MPE does not interference with other programms installed with wine. Therefore all following commands have the wineprefix declaration at the beginning:
          * initialize new wineprefix
          Code:
          WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_myphoneexplorer wine 'wineboot'

* install msxml3 dll needed by MPE
          Code:
          WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_myphoneexplorer winetricks msxml3

* install vb6run dll needed by MPE (this is the thing RonCam is missing in previous post)
          Code:
          WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_myphoneexplorer winetricks vb6run

* install MPE
          Code:
          WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_myphoneexplorer wine ~/MyPhoneExplorer_Setup_1.8.6.exe

* click through the installer and here comes the main trick. When the advertisement window appears, you must kill it manually, else there is no chance to continue with installation - no buttons react.
          You find the process number of this installer window by this command (The process name is "InstallMgr.exe")
          Code:
          ps -aux | grep InstallMgr

And
          Code:
          kill ****
          (replace **** by number seen in previous command)

And that's all. Then you have to connect your phone - connecting Android phone over wifi should work out of the box, hints for connection by bluetooth or USB cable can be found on first page of this discussion thread.
          Girafenaine
          MacBook 5.1 (Dual core Intel Core2)
          Dual boot MacOS 10.6.8 (36 Go HFSplus partition) / Linux Mint 19 xfce 64bits (39 Go ext4 partition) / shared partition for documents (400 Go HFSplus partition)

phd21
          Level 19
          Level 19

Post by phd21 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi johndeuf,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Why are you trying to install MyPhoneExplorer into Linux when there are so many great Linux and cross-platform applications and options already available without using Wine or PlayOnLinux?
          Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

absque fenestris
          Level 6
          Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:08 pm

Total Commander under Android is a* reasonable data management on the phone.
          Connected to a Linux computer everything is already there... Caja, Nemo, Thunar etc. pp. - some data management can do it all by itself.

*admitted - the only reasonable one I know...
          Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
          Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Return to “Newbie Questions”