[solved] Caja doesn't like cancelled copy task

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
danneauxs
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Caja doesn't like cancelled copy task

Post by danneauxs »

I"ve noticed this a while back. If I on cancel on the transfer progress window/file operation while copying a number of files the copy operation no longer works. If I try to copy anything else nothing happens. I've tried the copy/move to, copy paste, cut paste; they no longer work. I have to kill caja in system monitor to get the function back. anyone else have this issue?
Last edited by danneauxs on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Caja doesn't like cancelled copy task

Post by Mute Ant »

I suspect Caja is a work in progress and they are still debugging the hidden flaws inherited from the Gnome original. The disappointing-but-available-now work-around is 'Don't use Caja for that.'

You mustn't remove Caja if it came with your OS. It's okay to add a different File Manager though...
sudo apt-get install thunar
...and Thunar doesn't lock up.

The command pkill caja is faster than groping for the System Monitor. You can use it logged in to a Ctrl+Alt+F4 TTY for extra-fast behind-the-scenes maintenance.

You can try reducing size of the drive-write buffer. A cancelled copy will only leave 8MB in transit and (I expect) work nearly instantly...
sudo sysctl vm.dirty_bytes=8000000
Last edited by Mute Ant on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

Mute Ant wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:58 pm

You can try reducing size of the drive-write buffer. A cancelled copy will only leave 8MB in transit and (I expect) work nearly instantly...
What is the default value for this?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

danneauxs wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:37 pm
anyone else have this issue?
No such problems with Caja 1.20.2 / LM 19.1 myself, no. The only issue I know with canceled copying is that already (partially) written target files remain, I would want them to get removed after a canceled copy.
all41 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:37 pm
Mute Ant wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:58 pm

Defaults are:

Code: Select all

vm.dirty_bytes = 0
vm.dirty_ratio = 20
(only one of them can be set)

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 »

gm10 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:49 pm

Defaults are:

Code: Select all

vm.dirty_bytes = 0
vm.dirty_ratio = 20
[/quote]
Hi gm10,
Does this mean one or the other? Where would one read about this?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

all41 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 pm
Does this mean one or the other? Where would one read about this?
Read about kernel parameters? I dunno, how about the kernel documentation: ;)
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

The 'dirty ratio' is a percentage of your physical RAM, enormously larger than any buffer inside a hard drive. With an extended write, data tends to accumulate in the computer RAM, waiting for the drive to catch up. You say 'cancel' but there's hundreds of megabytes already 'posted' to the drive.

The command sysctl -a will show you all the kernel 'knobs' that you are allowed to tweak.

You can make your adjustments permanent, applied now and every boot thereafter, by adding them to file /etc/sysctl.conf and running command sudo sysctl -f

Try command man sysctl <--- Always a good start with any command you have not met before, then Google or Wiki. There's no Guild Secrets with a Linux OS.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob »

You can have issues with external ntfs formatted drives sometimes in Linux, this is often because the ntfs format has, ahem, some of those "undocumented features" beloved by MS. The usually recommended solution is to have a copy of a WIndows based recovery disk on USB stick. I use Hiren's boot disk for that (it's available on github). The bottom line is if you have a probolem with an external ntfs drive don't use Linux recovery tools. Just a note if it comes to that.

danneauxs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danneauxs »

Lots of good information here. I did find that if I hit pause the file in transit finishes before the pause takes effect. If I then cancel everything is ok.

I now use double commander for file copies and xfe for a few functions that the other FMs don't have. One is being able to expand all the directories in a tree at one time. Makes slogging through all those directories full of decades of jumbled data.

thanks for all the info and help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”