help mapping a printer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
melvee75
Level 1
Level 1

help mapping a printer

Post by melvee75 »

using Linux Mint Sylvia. living in south America; bought a printer here (HP Inktank Wireless 415). all other computers in the house use Windows and are mapped to the same printer. i am trying to get this Linux system mapped to the same. Under network printer i see the name of the printer listed, but selecting it brings me to a driver page. i get the same if i choose 'windows printer via SAMBA'. i tried the recommended generic driver but it did not work and i do not see my particular printer model listed. HP does not support Linux but they did direct me to a separate page to download a driver for most HP printers that would work with Linux. Linux is apparently expecting a PPD file as the driver, but the download i got was named hplip-3.18.12.run and i don't know what to do with it. trying to open it gives me an error message. can anyone help?

melvee75
Level 1
Level 1

Re: help mapping a printer

Post by melvee75 »

this is what i get from lpinfo -v

network socket
network ipp14
network beh
network lpd
network http
network https
network ipps
network ipp
direct hp
network dnssd://HP%20Ink%20Tank%20Wireless%20410%20series%20%5B9CDB16%5D._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=1c852a4d-b800-1f08-abcd-48ba4e9cdb16
network smb
direct hpfax

is there a command that will show the ipp or device URI? the printer is Bonjour enabled if that is an option. i just have not mapped a Linux machine to a printer before

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Hi melvee75.

I am no expert at this, but there's a version of hplip in the repositories that I would try first. Just open a terminal and enter apt install hplip.

The reason I'm suggesting this there have been a number of users having issues recently by installing the one from HP without uninstalling the one they had first, and that command will let you know if it is already installed, and install it if not, and may very well work for you. Once installed, just try setting up the printer again. I believe it's pretty straightforward.

Good luck.

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgringo619 »

Before you try the .run file you downloaded, try this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install hplip-gui
After it installs, click HPLIP Toolbox (under Settings). You should get a message saying that "No devices/printers are installed". In the next dialog box, select "Network/Ethernet/Wireless network", then click "Show advanced options". Click "Manual discovery", then put in your printer's IP address:
HPLIP Dialog.png
Let me know if it works.
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.4.0-40-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290/390 w/4GB RAM

melvee75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by melvee75 »

i got the HPLIP toolbox installed fine, but on manual setup i get this. i have tried the SSID name, the printer IP address, and the IP address listed on my network configuration page from the router. none worked.
Screenshot from 2019-01-042.jpg

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

I've seen HP printer IP addresses change over time so I give the printer a static IP address - you should be able to do this at the printer.

With knowledge of the IP address of your printer, trying pinging it from you LM computer. If you don't get a response back from the printer, then you have some sort of networking issue and that's well above my pay-grade - someone else with more knowledge than me will have to provide you assistance.

Assuming you got a response back from the printer, take a look at the page linked to in my signature. That should give you all you need to get your printer connected.

melvee75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by melvee75 »

i got 56 (84) bytes of data when i pinged what i thought was the printer IP address.

i then pinged another IP address that i found written down on my paperwork and it went and went with pages of results. i eventually stopped it. i don't know how to do the rest of what you suggested

melvee75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by melvee75 »

i finally got it installed (but not through HPLIP) - at least it is showing in the Printer menu, but it still is not printing. on sending the print command i get an error message about a CUPS server error. can anyone help me navigate that?

Return to “Newbie Questions”