You tube lip sync is off

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drjim

You tube lip sync is off

Post by drjim »

I'm running Mite mate 19 on vitrual box. When I try to play you tube videos the lip sync is off by quite a bit. I can play the same videos on windows 10 and my chromebook with no problem. All are using Chrome as a web browser. I tried Firefox with Mint on you tube but still the same out of sync problem.

Thanks,

Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: You tube lip sync is off

Post by sleeper12 »

Does lowering the video quality help at all?
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Do you have enough RAM allocated to the virtual box.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
drjim

Post by drjim »

kevin987 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:31 pm Do you have enough RAM allocated to the virtual box.
I have 12 GB of RAM allocated. Seems like that should be enough
redlined

Post by redlined »

drjim wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:16 pm
kevin987 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:31 pm Do you have enough RAM allocated to the virtual box.
I have 12 GB of RAM allocated. Seems like that should be enough
and video RAM?

Manager, VM selected - Settings - Display - Screen tab - Video Memory

(I made my first VB yesterday and noticed it defaulted to 8MB with warning it should be 18MB or more (I gave it 18MB of the 128MB max the slider shows available)

also unsure if it would help, but is the 2d acceleration enabled? (also in Settings-Display - Screen tab)
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

I'm able to reproduce this, but it seems to be a VirtualBox issue rather than Mint.

Have two laptops, one Mint, the other Windows. Both run YouTube videos fine when booted directly. When running from VBox (5.22), though, had the syncing problem no matter what combination I tried. All tests but one using Firefox, as I don't have (and don't like) Chrome. So problems with 18.x and 19.x. Also MX Linux and Manjaro. Also one test with Slimjet and one test with Daily Motion (towards the end, realized I should make sure it wasn't a YouTube issue). Not an exhaustive test, but looks like a bug to me. Don't see anything in the changelog to suggest this has been fixed in 6.0.

Just goes to show, VBox is pretty awesome but it ain't perfect.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

If i use my win 10 puta on youtube, i get the out of sync audio on certain channels and perfect on others. It could be due to the channel video/audio not synched properly before posting to youtube.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I suspect you aren't running either Windows 10 or Chrome OS in a virtual machine so comparisons aren't exectly meaningful. I also think it's a Vbox setting, don't know which one though, or maybe a hardware or other system thing.

You should always post good system info, copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here (no screenshots please):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
drjim

Post by drjim »

sleeper12 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:24 pm Does lowering the video quality help at all?
I don't know. I couldn't find out how to lower the video quality on Youtube. Any suggestions?

thanks

Jim
redlined

Post by redlined »

drjim wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 pm
sleeper12 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:24 pm Does lowering the video quality help at all?
I don't know. I couldn't find out how to lower the video quality on Youtube. Any suggestions?

thanks

Jim
While youtube video is loaded, lower right side of video controls is gear/cog left click it to change "Quality" from "Auto" (default) to another lower quality if available, does this help?
drjim

Post by drjim »

pbear wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:26 pm I'm able to reproduce this, but it seems to be a VirtualBox issue rather than Mint.

Have two laptops, one Mint, the other Windows. Both run YouTube videos fine when booted directly. When running from VBox (5.22), though, had the syncing problem no matter what combination I tried. All tests but one using Firefox, as I don't have (and don't like) Chrome. So problems with 18.x and 19.x. Also MX Linux and Manjaro. Also one test with Slimjet and one test with Daily Motion (towards the end, realized I should make sure it wasn't a YouTube issue). Not an exhaustive test, but looks like a bug to me. Don't see anything in the changelog to suggest this has been fixed in 6.0.

Just goes to show, VBox is pretty awesome but it ain't perfect.
Yeah, apparently this is a problem with any VB vs above 5.0.4.0. Downgrading seems to be effective according to the VB forum. I'm thinking about trying that but want to see if I can preserve the Mint customization I've spent a lot of time on.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

drjim wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pmDowngrading seems to be effective according to the VB forum.
Not a good solution, IMHO. VBox 5.0 hasn't received security updates for nearly two years. Simpler and safer to watch YouTube on the host system.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

What was the result of lowering the video quality?
drjim

Post by drjim »

The latest update for VB fixed the lip sync problem but now there's a crackling every couple of minutes. Several VB users have complained of the same thing. Strangely, when I "cast" YouTube videos to my TV for over an hour yesterday, there was no crackle. I thought maybe something magic had happened but found the same crackle today when videos were played on my laptop using VB Mint but not with Windows. I'll try lowering the video quality but I think this is a problem with VB that, hopefully, will be corrected on a future update.

Return to “Beginner Questions”