copy one usb to another usb (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

copy one usb to another usb (SOLVED)

Post by larrypoynor »

I can't figure how to copy a usb with Mint 19.9 to a usb with more storage. I downloaded kb3 but it didn't recognize the usb drives. Any suggestions?
Larry
Last edited by larrypoynor on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

redlined

Re: copy one usb to another usb

Post by redlined »

larrypoynor wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 am
I can't figure how to copy a usb with Mint 19.9 to a usb with more storage. I downloaded kb3 but it didn't recognize the usb drives. Any suggestions?
Larry
hi larrypoynor!

it is unclear what you want to do here. Assuming Mint version 19.1, but is the old USB storage device a thumbdrive/stick that you use to install Mint from and you want to copy that over to a new thumbdrive?

if so "extra storage" is not appreciated unless you have a live session with persistence setup on it and you'd have to manually setup that persistence partition anyway, in order to use the full amount of the new USB drive.

if this is a working install of Mint19.1 on an external USB harddrive (SSD or HDD) and you want to copy it over to a new external USB harddrive then we're looking at "clone" being the route to consider.

I also do not know what "kb3" is, if that is package name in repos I'm not pulling anything up. Please provide more info or a link to what this is and where you installed it from.

Otherwise, some environment info may help folks in forum with more experience to assist in this issue. Please copy the commands below individually, then paste and hit enter for each one in a terminal window:
inxi -Fxzd and lsusb

then copy all the result of those two commands from terminal and paste in between Code tags which you create using the </> button along the top left edge of your reply edit box. Thanks!

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

I was trying to ask the same quest redlined was asking if it is in fact an external usb drive that you have install 19.1 to. They you can use Clonezilla which is found in the repository and can be install via synaptic to clone the install and copy to new USB drive. If this is just the Live usb stick you won't gain anything without persistence as redlined has said. K3b right now has problems with burning USB sticks. and mint has it's own usb writer found under Accessories under the menu.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

kc1di wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 pm
They you can use Clonezilla which is found in the repository
Umm, that's the server version. Pretty sure Larry would want the Live version, which he would download from the website.

Another way to do this would be the notorious dd command. Off the top of my head, I don't know the exact syntax to use, though, and the reason dd is notorious is that it's vital to get the syntax right or one can do a lot of damage.

larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by larrypoynor »

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: hunp-H110M-S2H Kernel: 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.8 
  Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: H110M-S2H v: N/A serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Gigabyte model: H110M-S2H-CF v: x.x serial: <filter> 
  UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F22 date: 06/12/2017 
Battery:
  Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 
  charge: 100% status: Discharging 
  Device-2: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse M325 charge: 100% 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-7400 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 24000 
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 
  3: 800 4: 800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Gigabyte driver: i915 v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 630 (Kaby Lake GT2) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio vendor: Gigabyte 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-43-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.88 TiB used: 29.16 GiB (1.5%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM006-2DM164 size: 1.82 TiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra Fit size: 57.28 GiB 
  Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: ASUS model: DRW-24F1ST c rev: 1.01 
  dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw 
  Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes 
  rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 56.13 GiB used: 29.16 GiB (51.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 191 Uptime: 7m Memory: 15.55 GiB used: 1.01 GiB (6.5%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 
  inxi: 3.0.27

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0781:5583 SanDisk Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I hope I've done this right.......I have LM 19.1 installed on a 60GB usb3 thumb drive.....I was wanting to copy everything over to a new 3.1 usb thumb drive

redlined

Post by redlined »

larrypoynor wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:34 pm
Drives:
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM006-2DM164 size: 1.82 TiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra Fit size: 57.28 GiB
</>
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 56.13 GiB used: 29.16 GiB (51.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
Still trying to sort what you want to do, but assuming the above is telling me you have installed LM19.1 to the Sandisk Ultra fit USB thumbdrive and that big 2TB internal is not used at all? and that you just want to replace the sandisk USB thumbdrive with a new one and have your whole system back operating as it is now.

actually i don't think that me understanding anything matters much and
really the best bet option is to clone your sdb (thumbdrive) using clonezilla or similar application.

I would first seriously consider the usable lifespan of USB thumbdrive though, they are of a "different" memory&controller type and not built nor designed to last for years with the constant writes an OS does behind the scenes. This is not the case for say a USB external drive, even SSD version, as they are designed to last many years of such use.

another, perhaps better option may be to separate some of your personal files, if not entire /home to a partition you create on that big internal drive that may help free up a good chunk of space on the USB if it has your full LM19.1 experience on it.

even better (for longevity assurance) may be to clone the USB to the internal drive or fresh install it to that internal drive. Once you decide how you want to progress we'll know better how to advise. Thanks!

edit to strikethru comment(s) based on OP last reply edit clearing things up :)

larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by larrypoynor »

I installed Clonezilla but the only way I can get to it is thru the terminal.....and when I do that it says I need to have root permission but I don't know how get there.....I know the password but what is the command so I can enter the password for root.
Thanks, Larry

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

in the terminal you use the command

sudo 
you will then be asked for your password.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

[Smacks forehead.] Just remembered. There's a built in tool for this. One of the options in Disks (under Accessories) is to create a disk image. So, open the app, click on the USB drive, click the little rectangle in the upper right, choose Create Disk Image and save to internal drive. Swap USBs and restore with the same tool. As with all these tools (AFAIK), the drive has to be unmounted, so if your main system isn't Linux use a live session.

larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: copy one usb to another usb (SOLVED)

Post by larrypoynor »

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice.......Here is what I did before I read the posts......I did a new install to my large usb 3.1 thumb drive.......then I copied the files from the old usb 3 thumb drive....using copy and then Paste into Folder into my new thumb drive.......It was possible because I had them both plugged in.
It took me many hours before I finally figured it out.......My new 3.1 usb drive is about the size of my thumb nail and it is 240GB....I remember years ago when my wife and I bought our first IBM clone and it had a 10GB hard drive.....We thought we were chopping in high cotton....
Again, thanks to everyone,
Larry :D

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

larrypoynor wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:17 am
I remember years ago when my wife and I bought our first IBM clone and it had a 10GB hard drive.....We thought we were chopping in high cotton....
Again, thanks to everyone,
Larry :D
IBM clone - that's from the late 70's to early 80's. Back then, I remember getting a 20MB HDD and thinking I "had it all" in the palm of my hand. I don't even remember hearing about 10GB drives back then.

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Glad it all worked out for you Larry , enjoy ;)

Return to “Newbie Questions”