japanese characters

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ancientscribble

japanese characters

Post by ancientscribble »

I installed the international version of Mint and installed it with a Japanese GUI but I cannot seem to find a way to actually use Japanese characters.
I can toggle between Japanese and English mode with Alt+Shift but in Japanese mode it is basically the same.

Anybody know what I'm missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: japanese characters

Post by richyrich »

Menu -> Preferences -> Keyboard. . . . Layouts tab.

regards, Richard
ancientscribble

Thanks for the reply.

I've added Japanese there already and have looked at the layout but I still can't figure out how I can actually type in Japanese.

The layout for the Japanese keyboard doesn't really make it clear how to use it's functions.

I know the key combo to get into Japanese mode, but it is useless to me if I can't actually use the characters in that mode.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Did you try the "Japan Kana" variant? (same location as prev. post)
ancientscribble

Yeah I did...

Um that's not really a good way of typing Japanese at all.

I really hope you can use the same kind of layout as in Windows otherwise its unusable...
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Sorry . . . don't have the Windows layout, so I can't see what you are trying to point out. :(
Hopefully, some other member will have an answer . . . :idea:

regards, Richard
ancientscribble

Downloaded SCIM and it works great!

Thanks for your help.

Anyone out there that has this problem, just get SCIM!

Return to “Beginner Questions”