How to install custom recovery and rom on android using linux mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rajumukherjee
Level 3
Level 3

How to install custom recovery and rom on android using linux mint

Post by rajumukherjee »

I have Letv2 and Gionee p7 which i require to root and flash a custom software on them since there is no app i.e kingroot that can root these device i have to go through pc way just want to know how to do it from the laptop using linux mint. I am nob with linux command plz help

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to install custom recovery and rom on android using linux mint

Post by srq2625 »

I did a quick google search (parameters: rooting android with linux mint). The very first result was this page which seems to address rooting Android using Linux Mint (yes, version 17.1 Rebecca, but it can't have changed all that much since then :) ).

As for flashing a custom rom, another quick google (parameters: flash custom rom android with linux mint) returned the following two pages that might be of interest: HTH

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Hint: when searching such things I always preface the search string with 'ubuntu', not 'mint' unless it's a very distro specific question, which this isn't. You just can't argue with the size of the Ubuntu user base.

Since there's very little backwards compatibility in Linux you have to know which Ubuntu release your Mint is based on, and don't just assume you can always blindly copy/paste. For example,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
in the terminal in Mint is safe but sudo

apt-get upgrade
or

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
are not.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:09 am
Since there's very little backwards compatibility in Linux you have to know which Ubuntu release your Mint is based on, and don't just assume you can always blindly copy/paste. For example,

sudo apt-get update
in the terminal in Mint is safe but sudo

apt-get upgrade
or

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
are not.
fake news, as you have been told oh so many times.

also completely off-topic

back on topic, some place like https://forum.xda-developers.com/ seems better suited to advise on how to root a smartphone, there's nothing mint-specific about it (despite ol' Rob above).

shini_fluke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shini_fluke »

first of all, you have to install ADB and fastboot drivers by typing this :- sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
then turn on usb-debugging in your android phone and then reboot it into the fastboot mode by pressing power and volume down key ,in most of the phones just search about your on the net.

now check for connect phones by using the command :- fastboot devices
this will show up the connected devices.
now just download the custom recovery, I recommend using TWRP recovery, I guess your phone is connected and is showing in above list and u have downloaded the recovery. Now just flash the recovery into your phone by using fastboot flash recovery name.img . where name is the name of the file you have downloaded in few seconds it will be installed to boot it in recovery mode use fastboot boot name.img , This will boot directly into the recovery mode without installing it.
Just download the rom zip file and install it by twrp recovery :-)

Return to “Newbie Questions”