How do I make another drive for data?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
starplanet
Level 3
Level 3

How do I make another drive for data?

Post by starplanet »

I setup LM on a 120GB SSD HD.

40GB was assigned to LM.
I assume 80GB left was given to the Windows system.
I see a file/drive in folders that is 80GB

How do I create a new drive to store data in?
Windows, I'm not planning to use - but want to be kept there just incase.
Happy to assign 20GB if that's a usable amount? (Would like recommendations for that)

Thanks.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How do I make another drive for data?

Post by kyphi »

First let us get the mathematics cleared up. A drive of 120 GB is in fact only almost 112 GB. You can read an explanation for that here: https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-de ... -size.html

I use a drive of that size and its sole occupant is Linux Mint 19.1 currently at a total of 67 GB. Every time that I save an image or text or install an update it grows.
I still have adequate room left because my operating system is on a partition separate from my home partition which could be called a data partition.

You can download gparted-live and burn it to a USB stick (about 325 MB). Then you can boot from that and re-arrange your partitions. This procedure can be risky and you can lose precious data.

I assumed that you were using a laptop but if you have a desktop computer you can easily add as many extra drives as your power supply can manage.

A better option may be to purchase either an external drive that you can plug in when needed or a USB stick of suitable size.
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 »

kyphi wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:40 am
You can download gparted-live and burn it to a USB stick (about 325 MB). Then you can boot from that and re-arrange your partitions. This procedure can be risky and you can lose precious data.
No need to download anything new; the LM LiveUSB/LiveDVD from which the install was made has gparted installed as part of the image. Simply boot that up to manipulate the partitions on the SSD.

Also, please note that an entry must be made in /etc/fstab when one creates new partitions and expects them to automatically mount during booting of the O/S. You can read all you could ever want to know about fstab on this page.

starplanet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by starplanet »

thanks for the replies guys.
i'm confused, why should increasing (or decreasing) a drive space be such a dangerous thing to do?
in windows, you can resize and adjust (i'm assuming with no problems).

right now, i have nothing to lose.
so happy to play around with linux.

one thing i'm not sure about:

- load LM live disc and run gparted and adjust drive spaces.

- >> Also, please note that an entry must be made in /etc/fstab when one creates new partitions and expects them to automatically...
Why? Does gparted not do this? reading instructions now. i need to do this AFTER running gparted?

- gparted: why isn't this in the current system? why do i have to reboot and run?

thanks. :)

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

You'll get further with Linux and have less frustration if you let go of the notion that it's obliged to act like Windows. It isn't and it doesn't. Also, there's not much point to challenging things you don't understand or like. Doesn't matter why GParted doesn't set up mount points. It doesn't.

As for the thread topic, I've a feeling you're using the wrong word. Or, to put it a little differently, that you're talking about a drive in the Windows sense, not the Linux sense. What you're thinking about doing is carving another 20 GB out of the 120 GB SSD, right? In Linux, that's not a drive. It's just a partition. Probably not worth the trouble. Better to expand the existing partition, so you don't have to guess which will run out of space first.

More useful would be adding an actual drive, internal if this is a tower, external if it's a laptop. As it is, you've got very little room for data. An SSD that size is intended only for holding the operating system. That's true in Windows also.

zman58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zman58 »

You have both LM and Windows installed on your system?
You mentioned that Windows is using 80GB drive partition.
Assuming LM is using other remaining space.

How much freespace do you have below your home folder on Linux Mint?
Can you still boot the Windows system? Do you have a dual boot setup?
I would not recommend you using dual boot system with any data you have not backed up--unless you know exactly what you are doing.
You may loose the dual-boot and get yourself in a mess unable to boot or use the Windows system.

Managing space between the two can get time-consuming and complicated. I would not recommend anything effecting the Windows if that data is valuable to you.
Get an entirely new SSD and install LM on it, using the full drive. Before you do this extract/backup any valuable data from the Windows system.

starplanet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by starplanet »

@pbear @zman58 thanks for the education. :)
All points mentioned read.
i don't have anything stored in the Linux that i need.
Would it be a good idea to reinstall Linux and allocate 80GB?
I'd be happy to simply expand the 40GB if it were easy and straight forward - but I guess not easy from what you guys say + could mess with Windows and dual boot (that I have).
Let me know.
Thanks.

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux »

I wonder if it is reasonable to create a folder called Data (with sub-folders for documents, pictures, etc) for your data on Windows' partition that can be sym-linked to your home in LM. Of course you would need to mount the windows partition either at boot via fstab or after boot by simply clicking on the Windows in the left pane of the file manager to be able to access Data.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Good idea and might be the preferable approach if the Windows install is active. (Not clear to me one way or the other.) Only, it will have to be the whole Windows partition which is mounted, then starplanet can navigate to the appropriate folder in File Manager and bookmark. Also could put in symlinks, but I think that's more complicated than needed at this stage.

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux »

pbear wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:14 pm
Only, it will have to be the whole Windows partition which is mounted, then starplanet can navigate to the appropriate folder in File Manager and bookmark.
Sure. Thanks for the feedback!

hcentaur13
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hcentaur13 »

Linux knows nothing about drive letters. Linux knows only about directories! By that a directory is either a sinple directory located somewhere inside a partition or a mount point that represents logically the physical root directory of a partition.

Mount the new partition into a temporary mount point. This is needed because you needs temporary a path that points to the root of that partition
Move reccursively a directory that needs to be extended ito the root directory of the new partition:
umount the temporary location.
Edit /etc/fstab to get a new line that describes the new mountpoint (like / for root or /home when that is mounted to another partition yet.
use mount to mout it.

Attention: you can't do that when anything in the path beginning with the new mountpoint is in use by somewhere. When you can't do that by ligin another user you have to boot the live system and change @/etc/fstab there.

To get the temporary mountpoint beside old one because you needs access both the data inside the old directory and in the root of the new partition to get it moved to the new location.

Return to “Newbie Questions”