Cinnamon & Display not working - was playing with pip and python

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nimic

Cinnamon & Display not working - was playing with pip and python

Post by nimic »

Hello!

I was trying to install pip and pyinstaller and python 3.6 and other pip com. when the desktop went black and Firefox lost all margin and froze, the margins froze. I dont have the menu bar, just a black screen and the Computer and Home icon.

I did try to find a solution but I just made it worse and now my screen is 640 :)

Somehow I managed to install mate and I am using it now.
At least here the Terminal is working.

Settings and other adm from Contro Center are not working.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jsch38
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon & Display not working - was playing with pip and python

Post by Jsch38 »

The simple and quick fix is to reinstall Cinnamon.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

It sounds like your broken the default python installation in your experiments. Much of the OS is based on Python.

Try running apt install --reinstall python python3 mint-meta-cinnamon in a terminal in the first instance.

If that doesn't fix it after a reboot then please report back the output of inxi -Fxz && python --version && python3 --version run in a terminal.

If you have a pre-experiment timeshift snapshot it's probably just easier to restore from it.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

Mint is NOT designed to hold more than exacvtly 1 display managers. If you likes to change from one to another you have to reinstall the other ISO, It does definitly not work to change mate to cinnamon! You have to install the cinnamon ISO to get cinnamon correctly.

There are other distributions that comels with the ability to switch the the GUI dynamically during login. Mint developers are saving the time needed to get this and spending theyr won time on missing this for more important things. That is because mint comes with different ISOs for cinnamon, mate and xfsc.

You have ruined mate by istalled cinnamon in it. You needs a reinstall either mate or cinnamon to get a clean system at all.

phytton is the heart of mint. you can install lots of optional püackages too - but pip, the installer of phyton packages is already installed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”