Undo Network "Don't show this" [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OhGarraty

Undo Network "Don't show this" [Solved]

Post by OhGarraty »

Hi Mint folks, I have kind of a silly question.

My network connection is just awful with dropped connections. A bit ago, when the connection would return, (I assume) Network Manager would show a notification showing the connection was restored, and just below it, a button to "Do not show this again". Welll, I accidentally misclicked while clearing the notification and hit the button, and now I have no idea when my network connection drops or restores. It's not much of a thing at all, as I can just check the system tray, but I do sort of miss being warned my network is about to spaz out.

I'm fairly sure it's some one-line toggle tucked away in some file, but which one and where?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Undo Network "Don't show this"

Post by AndyMH »

Assuming you are running cinnamon try menu > preferences > notifications.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
OhGarraty

Post by OhGarraty »

Thank you, but Notifications doesn't seem to show this option.

Probably should have mentioned I'm on 19.1 Cinnamon in the first place.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Something else they have changed between 19.0 and 19.1 :(
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

By any chance is it "Popup Notifications" :?:

That's what it's called in 18.3 Sylvia.
OhGarraty

Post by OhGarraty »

No luck with Popup Notifications, either. Doesn't even seem to exist on 19.1. Thank you though!
intelquadcore_joe

Post by intelquadcore_joe »

I had the same issue, although on XFCE 18.3, but I think this is worth a try for you also :)

If you have the GUI dconf-editor installed you can do it from there: navigate to 'org.gnome.nm-applet' and untick
the 'disable-connected-notifications' if it's ticked.

Or in a terminal you could issue the following command

Code: Select all

dconf reset /org/gnome/nm-applet/disable-connected-notifications
This brought back the notification for me
OhGarraty

Post by OhGarraty »

tl;dr it worked!

I'm not sure how, though. I searched for nm-applet in a file manager to try finding the actual file, and the only results were through .wine/dosdevices/Z:. I have no idea why I even have a linux install in Wine, but I figured if I didn't put it there it's probably there for a reason. So I just pasted the code you gave into terminal, and wouldn't you know it the next time I got connection back the notification popped up.

Thanks a bunch!
Mute Ant

Re: Undo Network "Don't show this" [Solved]

Post by Mute Ant »

The Accessory dconf-editor gives you access to all the 'tweaks' that a GUI application publishes to the world, even if the GUI author didn't include a click-to-select button to make them easy-to-change options :{

The equivalent of GUI dconf-editor for Linux itself is the Command sysctl ,which shows you all the kernel tweaks...
sysctl -a
...will give you a list of 'knobs' that you can adjust to make Linux work better with your particular hardware. If it all goes horribly wrong, rebooting puts you back where you started, with the default settings.
Last edited by Mute Ant on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
intelquadcore_joe

Re: Undo Network "Don't show this" [Solved]

Post by intelquadcore_joe »

OhGarraty wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 am tl;dr it worked!
Nice, you're welcome :)

As Mute Ant said, when you hit that "Don't show this again"-button a key in a database (most likely '~/.config/dconf') was changed. That command reset it to its default value.

Many programs store their per-user-settings in the database accessible to dconf-editor, but many other programs store theirs as text files in your home directory (or often in ~/.config/).

Return to “Beginner Questions”