mouse problems : software rendering?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
matt.studley

mouse problems : software rendering?

Post by matt.studley »

Hi there

I have recently installed Mint Cinnamon on an old HP 2740p laptop after a failed upgrade in Ubuntu. All good - but there are some very annoying mouse issues which make it almost unusable. Most of the time, the mouse function within applications works ok, while the mouse function at the level of window decorators (maximise, minimise buttons, etc, or the address text box in a browser) doesn't seem to be recognised. Sometimes there is no way to switch between the context of one window (welcome to Mint) and another (the menu that pops up on the Windows button) - which means I can't even use keyboard shortcuts!

I have found that the problems go away if I launch a session with software rendering.

Interestingly, if I then log out and switch back to a session without software rendering, the problems don't come back!

... But if I restart the computer, I'm back to square one.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how to solve this?

System: Host: 2740p Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.9 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Machine: Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 2740p v: N/A serial: <root required>
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 7007 v: KBC Version 39.36 serial: <root required> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard
v: 68COU Ver. F.02 date: 08/23/2010
Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 33.9 Wh condition: 33.9/42.2 Wh (80%)
CPU: Dual Core: Intel Core i7 M 620 type: MT MCP speed: 1223 MHz min/max: 1199/2667 MHz
Graphics: Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1280x800~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile v: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.5
Network: Device-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network driver: e1000e
Device-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 driver: iwlwifi
Drives: Local Storage: total: 149.05 GiB used: 8.97 GiB (6.0%)
Info: Processes: 213 Uptime: 10m Memory: 3.65 GiB used: 1.10 GiB (30.2%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.27
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”