Memory stick wont open on linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jooke180

Memory stick wont open on linux

Post by jooke180 »

Hi,

I have Pen Drive and all a time when I try open it by Linux, I get this message:

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/jooke180/Jooke: Command-line `mount -t "exfat" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,namecase=0,errors=remount-ro,umask=0077" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/jooke180/Jooke"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'

How I could reopen it ?!

But, please as clear instruction as possible..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Memory stick wont open on linux

Post by Hoser Rob »

This part of the error message got my attention: "mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'".

Never had this issue but according to this (askubuntu and ubuntuforums are the best as long as you make sure the amswers work for YOUR Mint release):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/370398/ ... at-working

And from the 1st answer what I'd do is open the terminal and copy/paste these lines separately and use your password (which in Linux isn't shown) to execute them:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
Because you should always update efore installing anything.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install exfat-utils exfat-fuse
According to the link above that should give you read/write support but not formatting for some reason but that should be enough.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jooke180

Re: Memory stick wont open on linux

Post by jooke180 »

Hayaa, it working !

Thanks !

Return to “Beginner Questions”