Scanner not recognised: Epson WF-4740 AIO Printer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NorfolkGreg

Scanner not recognised: Epson WF-4740 AIO Printer

Post by NorfolkGreg »

I have attached my new Epson WF-4704 All in One Printer to my network and managed to get the printer part working.

My system reports:

Release Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64
MATE 1.12.0
Processor: Intel® Pentium(R) CPU G3220 @ 3.00GHz × 2

I have downloaded and installed what I believe is correct scanner driver for my system from:
http://support.epson.net/linux/old_driver/linuxmint/

Here's the output from running install.sh:

Code: Select all

greg@GregDesktop ~/Desktop/imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-17-1.3.38.x64.deb $ ./install.sh
[sudo] password for greg: 
(Reading database ... 223377 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../imagescan_3.48.0-1epson4linuxmint17_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking imagescan (3.48.0-1epson4linuxmint17) over (3.48.0-1epson4linuxmint17) ...
Selecting previously unselected package imagescan-plugin-gt-s650.
Preparing to unpack .../imagescan-plugin-gt-s650_1.0.0-1epson4linuxmint17_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking imagescan-plugin-gt-s650 (1.0.0-1epson4linuxmint17) ...
Preparing to unpack .../imagescan-plugin-networkscan_1.1.1-1epson4linuxmint17_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking imagescan-plugin-networkscan (1.1.1-1epson4linuxmint17) over (1.1.1-1epson4linuxmint17) ...
Preparing to unpack .../imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine_1.0.0-1epson4linuxmint17_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine (1.0.0-1epson4linuxmint17) over (1.0.0-1epson4linuxmint17) ...
Setting up imagescan (3.48.0-1epson4linuxmint17) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.46ubuntu1) ...
Setting up imagescan-plugin-networkscan (1.1.1-1epson4linuxmint17) ...
Setting up imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine (1.0.0-1epson4linuxmint17) ...
Setting up imagescan-plugin-gt-s650 (1.0.0-1epson4linuxmint17) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.14) ...
However, when I launch imagescan, Xsane or any other scanner software they report no scanner found.
What have I yet to do to get it to work!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Scanner not recognised: Epson WF-4740 AIO Printer

Post by kyphi »

The drivers for any Epson product are available from this site: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX

Since there are no entries for Linux Mint 17.3, an equivalent Ubuntu driver may work.

If you want to use your WF-4740 via wi-fi then you will have to edit some configuration files: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289

Linux Mint version 17.3 will reach end-of-life in 3 months. Please consider upgrading.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

kyphi wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:50 pm The drivers for any Epson product are available from this site: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX

Since there are no entries for Linux Mint 17.3, an equivalent Ubuntu driver may work.
That's where I searched and found:
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.0.28-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
and, as I said, the printer works fine.
If you want to use your WF-4740 via wi-fi then you will have to edit some configuration files: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289
I may check that out later, but it's not the priority at the moment.
Linux Mint version 17.3 will reach end-of-life in 3 months. Please consider upgrading.
I will. I hadn't realised it was so soon now.

However, you've missed the crux of my post, which does not relate to printing issues but scanning.
Having installed the correct scanner software, which is available for Mint 17.3 from the link I posted above, what have I missed in the installation, as the scanner is not recognised as existing on my system in spite of installing the software.

I strongly suspect I'm being a complete newbie idiot and forgotten something absolutely basic about Linux and hardware. I read about other brands of AIO printers and see that they mainly recommend connecting via a USB cable initially rather than going straight to a network connection, but intriguingly, the EPSON documentation seems to suggest this should be avoided with the WF-4740.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

For the scanner to be able to work via wi-fi you have to edit the relevant configuration files as indicated in the URL above.

You can connect the scanner via USB cable to check that it works satisfactorily before attempting a wi-fi connection. I can use my Epson AIOs with either a USB connection or a wi-fi connection, however, the scanner wi-fi connection to the router has to be reset if interrupted by setting to USB. That adjustment is made on the configuration screen of the AIO.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

NorfolkGreg wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:49 am My system reports:

MATE 1.12.0
Hi NorfolkGreg,

A side issue here. You're using an unsafe kernel.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261343#p1412119

The latest kernel for Mint 17.3 is 4.4.0-141-generic
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

kyphi wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 pm For the scanner to be able to work via wi-fi you have to edit the relevant configuration files as indicated in the URL above.

You can connect the scanner via USB cable to check that it works satisfactorily before attempting a wi-fi connection. I can use my Epson AIOs with either a USB connection or a wi-fi connection, however, the scanner wi-fi connection to the router has to be reset if interrupted by setting to USB. That adjustment is made on the configuration screen of the AIO.
Maybe I should try a USB cable, for the sake of curiosity, but I am happy to skip over wifi as what I seek is a hard-wired ethernet solution long term. Have you suggestions for getting that to work?
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

kevin987 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:23 pm
NorfolkGreg wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:49 am My system reports:

MATE 1.12.0
Hi NorfolkGreg,

A side issue here. You're using an unsafe kernel.
Oo-er! Thanks for that. Now updated!

I've always been dedicated to keeping my system up to date. What options are missing from my Update Manager that would allow me to miss that?
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

NorfolkGreg wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:24 pm
Oo-er! Thanks for that. Now updated!

I've always been dedicated to keeping my system up to date. What options are missing from my Update Manager that would allow me to miss that?
Go to Update Manager. Choose the Edit --> Preferences feature.

The Options tab has 6 options available. I have options 1, 2 and 6 clicked on.

The Levels tab I have all 5 levels visible. For Safe I have 1, 2 and 3 clicked on.

Using this format, you'll still be able to see any new Linux kernel and headers that are available. It just won't automatically install them. This way, you'll have full knowledge that you're installing a new kernel and header.
Last edited by kevin987 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

kevin987 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 pm Go to Update Manager. Choose the Edit --> Preferences feature.

The Options tab has 6 options available. I have options 1, 2 and 6 clicked on.

The Levels tab I have all 5 levels visible. For Safe I have 1, 2 and 3 clicked on.
Sounds like a reasonable plan! I've implemented it!

Thanks!
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

The Auto-Refresh tab, I just choose a reasonable time frame. The 1st one I have set for 2 minutes and the 2nd one at 1 hour. I want to see updates as soon as possible. Some people might want option 1 at 1 hour and option 2 at 1 day if they don't like to worry about it too often.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

kyphi wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:50 pm If you want to use your WF-4740 via wi-fi then you will have to edit some configuration files: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289
Just to confirm I managed to the printer part working via an ethernet connection as reported above.
I have now confirmed that the scanner component works when I have it connected with a USB cable.
I'll move to viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289 to follow up on the wifi/network aspect!
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

NorfolkGreg wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:45 am I'll move to viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289 to follow up on the wifi/network aspect!
That is not a Help topic. It is the Tutorial section.
Please remove your entry from the Tutorial section and post it here.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

kyphi wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:10 pm
NorfolkGreg wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:45 am I'll move to viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289 to follow up on the wifi/network aspect!
That is not a Help topic. It is the Tutorial section.
Please remove your entry from the Tutorial section and post it here.
Apologies! I just followed what I thought was an appropriate link and didn't notice the heading at the top of the page and just read through the body of the topic .

Here's that post:

Hi kyphi,

Just arrived from: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=285954&p=1582310#p1582310 where I reported that I have the printer part of my WF-4740 working via ethernet and the scanner via a USB cable.

My ultimate objective, if it is possible, is to have the scanner working via ethernet as well, but failing that wifi will do (providing it doesn't mean loss of printer functionality via ethernet). If both of those fail, I'll just buy a longer USB cable! :-(
kyphi wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:19 am First, install "iscan-network-nt" from the Epson Download Centre (this comes as part of the Scanner Download Bundle). To enable Wi-Fi for Epson devices you have to edit two configuration files on your system - dll.conf and epkowa.conf.
I have not downloaded the scanner software you suggest as I find there is a dedicated for my printer and OS at:
http://support.epson.net/linux/old_driv ... deb.tar.gz
(Yes I know my OS is about to go out of support, but I'd prefer to see the printer/scanner working before I get confused and distracted by tackling an OS upgrade as well.)
Because I haven't downloaded the package you recommend I find differences. Is it possible to get my scanner working as I would like given this...
  • My package does not include "iscan-network-nt"!
  • I do have "dll.conf "
  • I don't have a file "epkowa.conf"
There was already a "net" entry in dll.conf at the very beginning of the alphabetical list and around the "e" part of the file the following entries appear:

dell1600n_net
dmc
epjitsu
#epson
epson2
fujitsu

Is this what you expect? It was easy enough to add the epkowa entry and save the file!
However, when I attempt to open epkowa.conf I find I am creating a new file.

Have you any recommendation on how to proceed?
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I have attached my new Epson WF-4704 All in One Printer to my network and managed to get the printer part working.
Now attach the machine by USB and read

https://wiki.debian.org/Scanner

What do you get for

scanimage -L
--
Brian.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You can use either a USB connection or a Wi-Fi connection. To use a USB connection simply connect the AIO to your computer.

To enable a Wi-Fi connection you have to set up a communication pathway between your modem/router via the Network Manager to your AIO. That means that the security code of the modem/router has to be programmed into the display screen of your AIO under Setup, Network Settings, Wireless LAN (LAN=local area network) Setup. You also have to adjust the files specified in my tutorial so that all components (AIO, Linux Mint System, modem/router) can communicate.

Since your present installation is almost at the end of its life (April, 2019), it seems pointless to make the necessary configuration changes only to have to do them all over again (possibly with some variations) when you install a new system. Upgrading means 17.3 to 18 to 18.1 to 18.2 to 18.3 to 19 to 19.1. A rather tortuous path with too many possible errors to occur. I advise against upgrading and advocate a fresh installation.

The current scanner-bundle for the Epson WF-4740 is image-scan-bundle-linuxmint-19-1.3.40.x64.deb.tar.gz
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Epson are notorious for lousy linux driver support.
I have an Epson ET-4750 all in one and my scanner works.
Go to epson website and download the following file :
imagescan-bundle-ubuntu-18.04-1.3.40.x86.deb
then open and you will see 2 folders..
CORE and Plugins..you have to install the drivers in a particular order..
they are:
1. CORE > imagescan_3.50.0-1epson4ubuntu18.04_i386.deb
2. PLUGINS > imagescan-plugin-networkscan_1.1.1-1epson4ubuntu18.04_i386.deb

Then edit the imagescan.conf file..and enter the following in order..
[devices]
net.udi = %esci:networkscan://(your printer ip address):1865
net.vendor = Epson
net.model = WF-4750
net.name = Name of scanner(can be any name you like)
save.
reboot and your scanner should now work on wifi
BTW..don't use the Mint version of imagescan as they DON'T work, only the ubuntu version works.
hope this helps.
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

brian_p wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:10 pm
Now attach the machine by USB and read

https://wiki.debian.org/Scanner

What do you get for

scanimage -L
As reported above. The scanner works fine with a USB cable. It appears that I am just optimistic in hoping that it would work via ethernet.
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

Hi kyphi,
kyphi wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 pm You can use either a USB connection or a Wi-Fi connection. To use a USB connection simply connect the AIO to your computer.
As reported above I have done that and it does work. It seems that over optimistically, I supposed your "You can use either a USB connection or a Wi-Fi connection" did not mean "You can use only a USB connection or a Wi-Fi connection" and took silence on the ethernet issue as meaning you hadn't got round to documenting that in your tutorial.
To enable a Wi-Fi connection you have to set up a communication pathway between your modem/router via the Network Manager to your AIO.
My printer does show the network address asigned via ethernet, but I now understand that is not enough!
That means that the security code of the modem/router has to be programmed into the display screen of your AIO under Setup, Network Settings, Wireless LAN (LAN=local area network) Setup. You also have to adjust the files specified in my tutorial so that all components (AIO, Linux Mint System, modem/router) can communicate.
Now I've resigned myself to using WiFi, I'll work through your tutorial and report back!
Since your present installation is almost at the end of its life (April, 2019), it seems pointless to make the necessary configuration changes only to have to do them all over again (possibly with some variations) when you install a new system. Upgrading means 17.3 to 18 to 18.1 to 18.2 to 18.3 to 19 to 19.1. A rather tortuous path with too many possible errors to occur. I advise against upgrading and advocate a fresh installation.
Aaargh! More Linux naivety on my part. All the guidance on Mint upgrades seemed to suggest "If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it" was the right approach. I took that to mean that I would not have to upgrade through every increment at the end of Mint17's life. :-(
The current scanner-bundle for the Epson WF-4740 is image-scan-bundle-linuxmint-19-1.3.40.x64.deb.tar.gz
I've already found that one and my ISO for Mint 19.1 has been burnt! It may take few few days before I have time to consider a full installation and come back to the scanner issue.

Thanks for your patience!
NorfolkGreg

Post by NorfolkGreg »

kato181 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 am Epson are notorious for lousy linux driver support.
:-) As I have discovered!
BTW..don't use the Mint version of imagescan as they DON'T work, only the ubuntu version works.
hope this helps.
I'll take note of that as I work through kyphi's tutorial, should anything not go right. The Mint version version of imagescan that I have seems to work via USB. The only problem I have is that with the default settings the colour balance seems a little strange, but I was hoping that that problem could be adjusted through the many settings that seem to be available.

I'll report back after I've made the upgrade to Mint19.1
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

NorfolkGreg wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:57 am
kato181 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 am Epson are notorious for lousy linux driver support.
:-) As I have discovered!
hope this helps.
I'll take note of that as I work through kyphi's tutorial, should anything not go right. The Mint version version of imagescan that I have seems to work via USB. The only problem I have is that with the default settings the colour balance seems a little strange, but I was hoping that that problem could be adjusted through the many settings that seem to be available.

I'll report back after I've made the upgrade to Mint19.1
no problem mate.

Return to “Beginner Questions”