Mint 19.1 Are these updates safe.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leona

Mint 19.1 Are these updates safe.

Post by leona »

Noticed the updater has changed, usually I wouldn't install level 4 updates due to possible problems, now no level 4 updates so do we assume anything that appears in the updater is safe?

the two I'm concerned with are
Linux Kernel 4.15.0.43.45 and Linux firmware 1.173.3
I thought I'd heard that there was a problem with the 4.15 kernel
So are these safe and if there a place we can go to find out?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint 19.1 Are these updates safe.

Post by Pjotr »

I recommend to read this article that I've written about Update Manager in 19.1:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... pdate.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

It depends on what you mean by safe. As far as malware, if you stick with the Mint repositories you won't get any. As for breaking your system it is possible but unlikely. That's what Timeshift is for.

Be sure to read the stuff from 'Pjotr'
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Levels are set to be removed completely with LM 19.2, anyway. In my opinion it was always a terrible idea to introduce them in the first place, and while Clem doesn't entirely agree with me on that it's clear they have outlived their usefulness and the common position is that all updates should be applied. After all, this is why you're using an LTS release - to get long term support, and those updates are the support. :P

As Seadreamer pointed out, Timeshift, which Update Manager suggests you set up, allows you to recover from bad updates.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:32 pm Levels are set to be removed completely with LM 19.2, anyway.
Why not let them stay (hidden, like now) for the people who want to use them (like I)? :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:48 pm
gm10 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:32 pm Levels are set to be removed completely with LM 19.2, anyway.
Why not let them stay (hidden, like now) for the people who want to use them (like I)? :shock:
I agree. I preferred having these options. There was a reason this policy was started--some updates break things.
Edit: I'm concerned Mint is putting backups in place of stricter update policy :(
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:48 pm
I haven't discussed this specifically with Clem (only my general hate for levels :D), but I saw that he added it to the roadmap last month: https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap

So far no code has been written that I'm aware of. I've got over 20 pull requests pending for mintupdate alone, he'll probably be busy through 19.3 working through those, anyway, haha. :D
KBD47 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:05 pm There was a reason this policy was started--some updates break things.
You can blacklist them. I have a pull request pending that allows you to blacklist specific versions only even.

I consider a blanket-exclusion of security updates for critical system components a critical mistake, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. Individually reviewing updates and refusing to install a specific one for specific reasons is another story entirely, I do that, too.

PS: Here's a good recent example why security concerns aside, filtering updates by levels is a terrible idea and can leave your system in a bad state: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=283578
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

leona wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:23 pm Noticed the updater has changed, usually I wouldn't install level 4 updates due to possible problems, now no level 4 updates so do we assume anything that appears in the updater is safe?

the two I'm concerned with are
Linux Kernel 4.15.0.43.45 and Linux firmware 1.173.3
I thought I'd heard that there was a problem with the 4.15 kernel
So are these safe and if there a place we can go to find out?
Thanks.
I've had no problems with kernel 4.15.0-43 and firmware. Mint 19 came with the 4.15 kernel series and if you've had no problem with it before, there's very little chance you'll have a problem now.

The only problem with 4.15 that I'm aware of was its initial delay in implementation due to Intel's issues with the Meltdown and Spectre CPU fix.

https://itsfoss.com/linux-kernel-4-15-release-delayed/
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:32 pm Levels are set to be removed completely with LM 19.2, anyway. In my opinion it was always a terrible idea to introduce them in the first place, and while Clem doesn't entirely agree with me on that it's clear they have outlived their usefulness and the common position is that all updates should be applied. After all, this is why you're using an LTS release - to get long term support, and those updates are the support. :P

As Seadreamer pointed out, Timeshift, which Update Manager suggests you set up, allows you to recover from bad updates.
If imposed, looks like Time for me to Shift away from Linux Mint 19.2 onward. Maybe to Ubuntu 18.04.2 if Canonical Inc retains the update Levels as an option.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 pm I consider a blanket-exclusion of security updates for critical system components a critical mistake, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. Individually reviewing updates and refusing to install a specific one for specific reasons is another story entirely, I do that, too.
Amen.

And not just for security reasons, from a usability aspect as well.
People have run into issues even because...newer versions of dpkg were withhold, or util-linux & others.
Or the even more simple consequence of 'my graphics stack doesn't work' - well, if no related package was ever updated...

The result is an end-user base where you almost never know in advance if the software versions installed are up to date,
or 1 year older, or the very same as...back on release date, causing (unnecessary) questions & extra troubleshooting here.
Surely one thing is say Ubuntu 16.04 (April 21, 2016), another one Ubuntu 16.04.5 (August 2, 2018),
let alone the current result of mix-&-matching packages from in-between point releases:
it's meant to work properly & evolve as a 'whole', not via cherry-picking.

Besides of a way to distinguish some core packages that a user might want (or not) to withhold for a few days,
say systemd, grub, Xorg and couple others, i never saw the need myself for either 5 or 4 'levels'.
Last edited by thx-1138 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:02 am If imposed, looks like Time for me to Shift away from Linux Mint 19.2 onward. Maybe to Ubuntu 18.04.2 if Canonical Inc retains the update Levels as an option.
Ubuntu has never had levels or any similar system - optional or not - it is a Mint invention.

The Ubuntu updater has always updated everything by default and with default settings encourages end users just to accept updates without even looking at them.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
leona

Post by leona »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:02 am
gm10 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:32 pm Levels are set to be removed completely with LM 19.2, anyway. In my opinion it was always a terrible idea to introduce them in the first place, and while Clem doesn't entirely agree with me on that it's clear they have outlived their usefulness and the common position is that all updates should be applied. After all, this is why you're using an LTS release - to get long term support, and those updates are the support. :P

If imposed, looks like Time for me to Shift away from Linux Mint 19.2 onward. Maybe to Ubuntu 18.04.2 if Canonical Inc retains the update Levels as an option.
Ya I was going to go to 18.04 but magnification is still broken on that release, don't know when that'll be patched, its an open issue at the moment, so stayed with Mint.
I started with Mint when Ubuntu went Unity, and in those early days it was strongly suggested not to apply level 4 and 5 updates as they were, to quote, 'Untested' and 'unstable', so I have kept that process, but now levels are gone (or hidden), are we to assume that all updates are safe and tested now? I think it was on an update video that I saw the mentioned an issue with the 4.15.43 kernel so they suggested not to apply it, so how do we get to know if, 1 there is an issue with an update and 2, when its fixed?
Don't get me wrong not knocking it at all, just need to find the info to be informed.
Can be as bad a windows updates a? known for breaking without warning :)
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:39 am
michael louwe wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:02 am If imposed, looks like Time for me to Shift away from Linux Mint 19.2 onward. Maybe to Ubuntu 18.04.2 if Canonical Inc retains the update Levels as an option.
Ubuntu has never had levels or any similar system - optional or not - it is a Mint invention.

The Ubuntu updater has always updated everything by default and with default settings encourages end users just to accept updates without even looking at them.
This means the updating features will be about the same for LM 19.2 and Ubuntu 18.04 = the plus points of LM over Ubuntu being eroded or removed = there may not be much point in staying with LM from 19.2 onward.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

If the only reason you stick with Mint is the ability to automatically prevent a (badly maintained) list of applications from updating (rather than individually blocking them) then you should probably have left long ago.

Here's the current list by the way:

Code: Select all

$ grep 4 /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
# Level 4
4|acpid|*
4|*lightdm|*
4|*slick-greeter|*
4|*linux-|*
4|*mdm|*
4|*nvidia|*
4|*xorg|*
4|bcmwl|*
4|ndiswrapper|*
4|grub2|*
4|grub|*
4|linux|*
4|mesa|*
4|plymouth|*
4|systemd|*
4|ubuntu-drivers-common|*
4|upstart|*
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

leona wrote:.
I think from LM 19.2 onward, there will only be security and recommended/optional updates, similar to Ubuntu 18.04 and Win 7.
More work is needed to provide LM users with the granulation of Level 1 to Level 5 updates or between safe and risky/dangerous updates.
In Win 7, as an average home user, I did not trust System Restore to always restore successfully. So, I also will not trust Timeshift in LM 19. By being careful with manual updating, I have kept my Win 7 system running smoothly from 2012 until 2016 and then LM 17.x from 2016 until today, ie never once having to resort to System Restore or an OS reinstall.
....... Business users may need to do things differently wrt applying updates and having system recovery backups because they are high value targets for hackers.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i really do wonder sometimes when people say that updates from ubuntu based linux systems cause as many problems as what i hear about.

since 2016, i have always excepted ALL updates offered...the only two times i ever had a problem was due to 2 different borked up kernels, (always staying in the same series as what the distribution has as LTS), that was always simply resolved via GRUB menu and reverting to the previous kernel until the next kernel update came out and resolved the situation...end of problem.

my thinking is that maybe more often than not, peoples problems are not really the updates themselves, but more probably more to do with just how they have configured their systems that do not play well with certain updates as they come down the line.

linux systems allow you to do anything you want with them, it doesnt mean that what people do with their systems is necessarily good for the system, nor does it mean that the updates will play well with their severely altered configurations...DAMIEN
gm10

Post by gm10 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:11 am my thinking is that maybe more often than not, peoples problems are not really the updates themselves, but more probably more to do with just how they have configured their systems that do not play well with certain updates as they come down the line.

linux systems allow you to do anything you want with them, it doesnt mean that what people do with their systems is necessarily good for the system, nor does it mean that the updates will play well with their severely altered configurations...DAMIEN
I agree, it's when people start piling in software from external sources - which of course does not get tested at Ubuntu - that they start seeing problems. Personally I've yet to run into an issue with a system update at all. I wasn't even affected by 4.15.0-24 although that was certainly one that caused a lot of people legitimate issues, mainly because Update Manager at the time had flawed logic about suggesting to update to that revoked kernel version (I fixed that since).

Still, even if there are potential issues, it's always better to install the updates and handle the fallout later rather than sit on a number of public and open-source security vulnerabilities that anyone can exploit, or critical bugs that can cost you your data (there have been a few in various kernel versions, for example).
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 pm Individually reviewing updates and refusing to install a specific one for specific reasons is another story entirely, I do that, too.
Casual users (like me!) won't know what to look for. For us, reviewing updates is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 am
gm10 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 pm Individually reviewing updates and refusing to install a specific one for specific reasons is another story entirely, I do that, too.
Casual users (like me!) won't know what to look for. For us, reviewing updates is as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Oh I completely understand, but the solution then cannot be not to apply it. That's like not getting your car repaired because you don't understand how the engine works. Instead you pick a repair shop you trust and let them do it. Same for Linux updates, pick a distribution you trust and let them do their thing.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:39 am the solution then cannot be not to apply it. That's like not getting your car repaired because you don't understand how the engine works. Instead you pick a repair shop you trust and let them do it. Same for Linux updates, pick a distribution you trust and let them do their thing.
Fair enough.And if we can make Timeshift easier to use, then that should take care of most problems caused by the rare problematic update. I'm sure that some people would argue that TS is already easy enough, but the trouble that we see people having with it says otherwise.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”