[SOLVED] Change Taskbar Icon Behavior ??? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BuckSkin

[SOLVED] Change Taskbar Icon Behavior ??? [SOLVED]

Post by BuckSkin »

A very handy feature in Windows 7 that I constantly use and took for granted until I started using Mint is, (and I hope I can explain this) when I mouse on a taskbar icon in Windows, a little thumbnail of whatever window it is will appear above the icon --- just like in Mint; however, in Windows, I can then mouse onto the little thumbnail and that window will immediately display full screen; mouse off of the thumbnail and the window disappears again.

This feature is very useful when one needs to access/see the information that is on that window without actually having to constantly be clicking back and forth; such as, when the instructions of how to do something are on one window and whatever you are trying to accomplish is on a different window, to refer to the instructions, all one need do is hover the mouse over the icon and thumbnail; to return to whatever you were doing, just quit hovering.

Is this feature available in Mint; and, if so, how do I turn it on?
If not, is there some sort of program I can install that will add the feature ?

Thanks for all help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Change Taskbar Icon Behavior ???

Post by smurphos »

Is your signature correct? Mint 19 Cinnamon 3.8.x?

If so you can replace the default window-list applet with Icing Task Manager (install via the Applet's Settings module > Add/Remove). this offers this functionality (aka Hover Peek) along with a whole lot more (explore the options via right click > preferences > configure)

If you upgrade to Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 4.0.x and chose the modern layout you get by default the Grouped-Window-List applet which is Icing task managers slightly more polished younger sibling - now made an official applet of Cinnamon.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:30 am Is your signature correct? Mint 19 Cinnamon 3.8.x?
Thanks for the information.

I don't know about the 3.8.x part of the question; and, without boting back into Windows and looking at the ISO, I don't know how to find that information in Mint.
When I looked in Welcome Screen > Documentation > Release Notes, I see this line "This is Linux Mint 19, codename Tara"

If I do happen to have 3.8.x, how big of an episode is it going to be to update to 4.0.x ?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

inxi -S run in a terminal will give you basic info on Mint and Desktop Environment version if you want to double check but Tara is Mint 19 / Cinnamon 3.8.x

The upgrade would be from Mint 19 to 19.1 (Cinnamon 4.0 comes with it). It's a relatively trivial and quick exercise - see https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3715

Also see https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3669
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:55 am inxi -S run in a terminal will give you basic info on Mint and Desktop Environment version if you want to double check but Tara is Mint 19 / Cinnamon 3.8.x

The upgrade would be from Mint 19 to 19.1 (Cinnamon 4.0 comes with it). It's a relatively trivial and quick exercise - see https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3715

Also see https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3669
I guess while you were typing I was doing "inxi -F" and got a ton of information.
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.6 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Thank you for your help.

Another question: I found Icing Task Manager at the top of the applet list and clicked the install button.
Now, it is showing in my installed applets with a button that says "configure"
I have selected/hi-lighted it, right-clicked, double-clicked = no response whatsoever.
How do I put it into action ?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Highlight it in the list and click the add button at the bottom left of the GUI.

See if you can workout how to remove the existing window-list applet... :wink: it's good learning just to mess around a bit....
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

Thanks !

Can I make the taskbar taller ?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

BuckSkin wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:23 am Thanks !

Right click on an empty space on the panel (Linux name for the taskbar) and pick panel settings. Or launch panel settings from the menu. You should see options to allow the size to be controlled by your theme or not in 3.8.x
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

smurphos wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 am
BuckSkin wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:23 am Thanks !

Right click on an empty space on the panel (Linux name for the taskbar) and pick panel settings. Or launch panel settings from the menu. You should see options to allow the size to be controlled by your theme or not in 3.8.x
Thanks ! I made it quite a bit taller and that is a lot better for my tastes; a bigger target is a lot easier to hit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”