Enabling Auto Login [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kinetics

Enabling Auto Login [SOLVED]

Post by Kinetics »

OK, no need to type in my PW every boot or sleep recovery. How to enable auto login? I saw the option when I first installed Cinnamon and Administration/Login Window/Users looked promising but entering my user name and rebooting didn't work. What am I missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Enabling Auto Login

Post by gm10 »

Mint menu > Login window, then on one of the tabs at the bottom you can enter your username for automatic login
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Did you take into account that your username has no capital letters "under the hood"?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Kinetics

Post by Kinetics »

As I mentioned, I did the Login Window route and entered my lowercase user name in the Automatic Login pane. Pressing Enter gave no response so I simply closed the window and rebooted - no help. Repeated after Enter and did not close the window and rebooted - no help. Verified Mint sees me as "ken", that's what I entered. Still scratching head. Running Linux Mint 19.1 .
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Sry, had quickly posted on my way out and missed the Login window part. Post output of these two commands please:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
id
Also did you make any manual changes to lightdm's configuration?
Kinetics

Post by Kinetics »

Hereyou go:

ken@X200:~$ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[Seat:*]
autologin-user=ken
ken@X200:~$ id
uid=1000(ken) gid=1000(ken) groups=1000(ken),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),112(lpadmin),127(sambashare)
ken@X200:~$
I have not changed lightdm.conf to my knowledge.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

That looks correct. Are you using an encrypted home folder? Because that would also prevent an automatic login, that's the whole point of it. :)
Kinetics

Post by Kinetics »

Don't recall selecting home encryption but I do have an .ecryptfs file in my home folder so that may very well be the problem. The fix (copying all my files to a new user) looks to be painful. Will research more and see if this issue can be [SOLVED].
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Kinetics wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:36 pm Don't recall selecting home encryption but I do have an .ecryptfs file in my home folder so that may very well be the problem. The fix (copying all my files to a new user) looks to be painful. Will research more and see if this issue can be [SOLVED].
That would indeed be the case then, you wouldn't have the file otherwise. Copy the folder once decrypted is fairly simple (from the command line at least), but I'll let you do your research on your own first, it's always good to gain a proper understanding yourself. Feel free to check back before doing something definitive though so you don't risk your data. I'll already point out that you don't need to move your data to a new user, you can stay with your current user, you just need to copy the data out of the encrypted container and then put it back after removing the encryption. Happy researching. :)
Kinetics

Post by Kinetics »

I have >80K files, folders, etc. in home & below so it's a massive copy job (perhaps no problem for Linux). Also since I fixed the need for a PW to recover from sleep, I find I'm fussing over just the login PW. Some have implied that home-folder encryption may interfere with processes/installs. If true, I'm inclined to remove it otherwise live with a login PW. That said, I would welcome suggestions for removing encryption in case I give it a go.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Home folder encryption is transparent to processes so just leave it then.
Kinetics

Re: Enabling Auto Login [SOLVED]

Post by Kinetics »

Will do. Thanks for your help.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

The screenshot below shows the default, which has never been changed.
Whenever Mint resumes after suspension, I have to enter my password.
Does that count as "Automatic login"?

Login Window (default).jpg
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Matthew_Wai wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 am The screenshot below shows the default, which has never been changed.
Whenever Mint resumes after suspension, I have to enter my password.
Does that count as "Automatic login"?
Nope - you are already logged in when you resume from suspend.

The relevant settings will be your Screensaver Lock settings and potentially your Power Management Settings.

On Cinnamon - (the other DE's have similar settings but the details differ)

Screensaver - uncheck the lock settings.

In Power Management make sure you haven't got Lock Screen set as an action for Lid Close or Power Button

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

smurphos wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:38 amScreensaver - uncheck the lock settings.
It works. Thank you! No password is needed when Mint resumes after suspension.
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
New question by penalcol is now here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”