[SOLVED] fix for fix E:The package linux-headers-4.15.0-43 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobbyblue

[SOLVED] fix for fix E:The package linux-headers-4.15.0-43 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Post by bobbyblue »

Hello Linux sphere - If thats the right phrase.

Complete newb.... Been using as a normal computer user for months and know nothing about script.

Checked online but cannot find a fix for;-

E:The package linux-headers-4.15.0-43 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Needed in so simple plain language please
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: fix for fix E:The package linux-headers-4.15.0-43 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Post by ajgringo619 »

Here's how to find out what you're looking for:

Code: Select all

sudo apt search headers | grep ^i
On my system, this returns:

i   linux-headers-4.15.0-42                                                              - Header files related to Linux kernel version 4.15.0                                           
i   linux-headers-4.15.0-42-generic                                                      - Linux kernel headers for version 4.15.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP                                     
i   linux-headers-4.15.0-43                                                              - Header files related to Linux kernel version 4.15.0                                           
i   linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic                                                      - Linux kernel headers for version 4.15.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
To reinstall the packages you're asking about, do this:

sudo apt install --reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic
bobbyblue

Re: fix for fix E:The package linux-headers-4.15.0-43 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Post by bobbyblue »

Hello there,
Do I literally copy that text/script into the Termianl screen and press enter?
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Sorry, I should have been explicit. From the terminal, copy/paste the last line (the one with "sudo apt install") and press "enter".
bobbyblue

Post by bobbyblue »

user@hpcq61 $ sudo apt install --reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic
[sudo] password for user: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: The package linux-headers-4.15.0-43 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

$ --reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic
--reinstall: command not found
$ 
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed the html tags, hopefully correctly. wonder how they got in there ? (suspect it happens as soons as you save a post as a draft and later re-use the draft)
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Can you repost your reply using plain text? I can't read it with the html tags.
bobbyblue

Post by bobbyblue »

Hello there;

I copied;
--reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic

and received the previous post

ta mucho Gringo
bobbyblue

Post by bobbyblue »

As requested:-

user@hpcq61:~$ sudo apt install --reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic
Building dependency tree       
E: The package linux-headers-4.15.0-43 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
user@hpcq61:~$ --reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic
user@hpcq61:~$ reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-genericreinstall: command not found
user@hpcq61:~$
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

bobbyblue wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:07 pm As requested:-

user@hpcq61:~$ sudo apt install --reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic
Building dependency tree
This makes no sense. What happens when you run sudo apt update?
user@hpcq61:~$ --reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic
user@hpcq61:~$ reinstall linux-headers-4.15.0-43 linux-headers-4.15.0-43-genericreinstall: command not found
user@hpcq61:~$
The first command you tried is correct, the last two are not.
Last edited by ajgringo619 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

1. What are you actually trying to do and what did you do that got you into this position?

2. Also as a first step go Mint menu > Software Sources > Restore the default settings, then still in same tool, on go Maintenance tab > Fix MergeList problems. Finally click OK to update the APT cache. That may already fix you up depending on what you did.

3. Otherwise post output of

inxi -Fxzr
and

apt policy linux-headers-4.15.0-43-generic
but please as a proper copy & paste without whatever you did to get those html tags and in the post put it in code tags via the </> button here. Also to run commands just click select all and then copy & paste them into a terminal window.
bobbyblue

Post by bobbyblue »

ALL FIXED :D

Using: sudo apt update

Thank you

Return to “Beginner Questions”