New Linux user from windows 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kingston73

New Linux user from windows 10

Post by kingston73 »

My older dell laptop finally gave up, windows is refusing to boot but all diagnostics tests are saying it’s fine. It’s been slow for a while now so this is just the bump I needed to make the jump to Linux.

I know this is the mint forum so it’ll be a biased answer but here’s my question:
I’m looking at Mint, Elementary OS, and Manjaro. I want a system that will work, I don’t need anything fancy.

I like the thought of rolling updates but I also really like how “pretty” elementary is and it seems like everything I read says Mint is great for beginners.

So as a new user who isn’t very technical, what would you recommend.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: New Linux user from windows 10

Post by ajgringo619 »

Mint XFCE - really easy on older hardware.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Post the results of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzd
from your terminal window using the code display feature (using the </> button).
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

If your hardware is failing no os will fix. But you can test using a live usb. Use another compute to download an image and create. Your question mint vs manjaro, i think mint xfce is better for you due to the community. Bu i do like and use manjaro. Why not just Ubuntu? .donno. just like the mint. Linux is a lot more hands on but also gives you more tools and direct access to all that makes things work.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

kingston73 wrote:
I know this is the mint forum so it’ll be a biased answer but here’s my question:
I’m looking at Mint, Elementary OS, and Manjaro. I want a system that will work, I don’t need anything fancy.
My suggestion would be go with Mint, as I believe Mint's forum is the most friendly (some Linux forums can be quite cutthroat). By the way, my answer isn't biased because my main system isn't one of the three you listed (nor is it Windows). :wink:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

kingston73 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:12 pm
it's often, quite suprising, on Just How UN-Biased, that this Forum Members - seem to be
ajgringo619 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:17 pm Mint XFCE - really easy on older hardware.
actually LinuxMint Mate version - often can be a good alternative, as well,,
&& it's not that much heavier than what the XFCE version seems to be.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

We don't know how old his hardware is yet. If he has a dual core processor and 4+ GB RAM then he should be able to run Mint Cinnamon out of the box.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd recommend MInt for beginners or Ubuntu, but Mint has an update policy others lack that makes it less likely that an update will break something, as long as you set it to "keep my computer safe". WHich is what beginners should do. For the same sort of reason I would suggest beginners avoid rolling release distros like the plague until they learn good CLI recovery skills.

I don't find the forum here any friendlier than any other distro with beginner leanings but it's pretty good. However ubuntuforums has a level of expertise that no other beginner suitable forum has. However, the REAL gurus they have there don't have much patience for users who can't be bothered with searching the subject themselves and/or don't state the problem clearly. Many newbies get a hissy fit with those forums. But then they end up in forums with no real experts.

You need to post system info from this machine, especially the graphics card.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I concur with above advice, to try a Persistent live USB long enough to thoroughly test different linux as well as different desktop environments. You'll want time to check linux compatibility with your PC's hardware as well as all the peripherals normally used with it - to avoid investing a lot of time installing and setting up full installs that ultimately prove unsatisfactory. You might or not be aware that among Ubuntu spin offs, the desktop environment and assortment of preinstalled software probably make more difference out of the box than the underlying linux platform, until you find and decide your own preferences. Mint is probably the easiest and most dependable new user experience though its been a while since I tried anything else. There is a heck of a lot of half-baked linux out there (though some grin and call it "choice".)

If Windows is still running you can easily create a persistent live USB on a 16GB or larger thumb drive using this Win software (there are alternatives, I like this):

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/

If you format the thumb drive as NTFS (doable in the software) you can set about half a 16GB drive as "persistence" to let you configure the OS and preinstalled software, install and configure additional software, then shut down and reboot without losing what's done. Live USB on a good flash drive will run only marginally slower than a regular hard drive install, and compatibility problems are not solved by fully installing. I still use Win7 and am not familiar with how Windows 10 (or your particular PC) sets the USB as priority for booting the live USB ahead of the Windows C: drive, but that is required.

(The "rolling release" distros are a nice idea but not nearly as friendly to inexperienced users as Ubuntu based. While I've moved to Mint 19.x, my Mint 17.x install on a Dell laptop lasted four years, accepting "point releases" and ordinary updates seamlessly, without need for reinstalling the OS.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
kingston73

Post by kingston73 »

Thanks for the responses so far. It’s a dell inspiron with a touch screen, core i5 1.70 ghz and an Intel Haswell mobile graphics card. It’s all running with 6 gbs of memory. The dell self diagnostics said all the hardware was good so I have no idea what happened to the windows installation but it is gone, the computer either says no OS detected or no boot device detected.

I’ve decided to go with mint, now I just need to decide which flavor. I’m getting ahead of myself but I’d like to try to make it look MacOS like. Would any of them work or would one be better for that?
eddycanuck

Post by eddycanuck »

That seems to be a common request.
Here is one of many "Video Tutorials" on how to make Mint (18.3?) look like a Mac.
https://youtu.be/huo9xN4XBkA
(It seems fairly straight-forward - once you become more familiar with how Linux Mint various "System Settings" operate.)
and Welcome to Linux Mint!
(I was you about 1 yrs ago).

Cheers,
ed
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

You describe yourself as a Windows 10 user - but you want to have a macOS feeling.
I don't understand somehow...
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

Linux Mint Mate edition.

I went through the same process you're going through - tried Ubuntu Unity, ElementaryOS, Mint Cinnamon, Mint Mate, Bodhi, Manjaro...

After living with all of them, I've settled with Mint Mate. It runs well on older hardware, and on my Core i5 it really flies. I installed the Compiz eyecandy, so you get hot corners like MacOS. The Mint forums are also a great resource and the people here are friendly to newbies.

For really old hardware, Bodhi Linux is excellent, but anything from the last ten years, I'd go Mint Mate.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Like others who have replied, I've been down the same road of trying out different Linux distros in the process of transition away from Windows.

I'd offer two bits of advice and a personal recommendation:

1) be prepared to adapt a bit. It's natural to want the Linux OS you choose to be like Windows (XP or 7 or 10 or whatever) or to be like MacOS. Some distros try harder than others to offer this familiarity. But if you are willing to embrace the different - Linux - way of doing things, it becomes so much more rewarding. The scope for tailoring appearance and performance to what you like best is vast - if you want to tweak things. But equally, many of the more widely used distros, including Mint, are so refined and well-tuned that you don't need to mess with them.

2) try various distros out - either in Live sessions off a CD/DVD or USB stick, or by loading several on to a multiboot USB stick using YUMI - see https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mult ... b-creator/. They may run a bit slower than when fully installed. But it's the best way to find out what you like, what looks good, and what works well on your machine.

My recommendation is the result of making a similar journey to you: Dell laptop, adequate but not massive power and hardware, and a personal preference for clean appearance, simplicity and reliability.

I tried Zorin (at the time it was trying to appeal to XP users), PCLinuxOS MATE version (rolling release), LXLE (lightweight), Linux Lite (similar in many respects to Mint in its derivation from Ubuntu), and - the surprise outsider - Linux MX. But I have settled on Mint. XFCE version, because I like its desktop and the Whisker menu. Also because it is tried and tested and the developers err on the side of reliability over novelty. Also because of the forum - thoughtful, generous and expert, and always the source of wise and helpful advice (not all forums are as benign). But try Lite - it looks and feels similar. And you might find Linux MX16, or MX17, as surprising and as interesting as I have (it is my favourite "non-Ubuntu" option) .

Whatever you choose, enjoy the ride. Linux really is a fascinating new world.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

kingston73 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:12 pm I want a system that will work, I don’t need anything fancy.
You definitely came to the right distro. I suggest MATE desktop... nice clean and easy.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

Dell LPS-502x, eight years old, i5 intel/nvidia dual graphics, 6Gb RAM. Running Linux Min 19.1 CInnamon - goes like the clappers!
:P
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

kingston73 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:12 pm So as a new user who isn’t very technical, what would you recommend.
For a new user, I recommend mint, mainly because of the forums :-) You can almost always find some kind of help/support, answers to questions...
Biased? Maybe. But I don't use mint as my main o/s anymore (I do still run it in a vm from time to time, though)... but I think it's great for starting out.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Your hardware looks good enough for cinnamon, but I'd try all three desktops and settle on the one you like the look of - cinnamon, mate, xfce. Relative to windows, you'll be surprised at how quick it runs.

Why mint - well apart from the fact I think it is the best OS (yes, biased), this is one of, if not the most friendly forum around. Get stuck - there are plenty here willing and able to help.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hi I'm with others here try all the mint desktops from live media and choose which one works best for you I prefer XFCE myself. But they are all good. Why Mint several reasons. Manjaro is a good rolling release distro , but tends to be a bit unstable at times. Though when something goes wrong they fix it quite fast. Elementry is pretty but they lock down way to many setting for my taste So that leaves Mint and it as good as it gets IMHO :) Good luck which ever you choose.

P.S. remember when running live it will normally be a little slower that HD install.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
kingston73

Post by kingston73 »

I've been using a few different live distros and I'm liking mint xfce more than the others. Why? I don't know really but it just seems to work better for me than cinnamon and mate. I've also been trying MX18, it seems a bit faster than mint on my computer but I'm a little worried about using a lesser known distro and not finding as much support for it. I've also been trying out Ubuntu standard and that's nice as well but seems to be the slowest of the 3 versions.

Return to “Beginner Questions”