Applications're loading but not running ! [incomplete]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
imail7

Applications're loading but not running ! [incomplete]

Post by imail7 »

HI guys,
Sometimes I try to run some applications, They usually run as well but other times they don't !
For Example when I click on ' Software manager ' icon, it will be loading ,but after loading nothing happens !

I've took a look at

Code: Select all

ps -A
I think there is no about its process.
What should I do exactly when it happens ?

Thanks everybody
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Applications're loading but not running !

Post by kc1di »

Hello imail7 and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,

Best thing to do when a program will not launch in the menu is to try launching it from the terminal and see if it spits out any error messages.

For instance if your trying to launch software manager go to the terminal and type

mintinstall
and see if it launches from there. If it does then something has gone wrong in the menu. If it will not it should give you an error which may reveal where to look.
Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
imail7

Post by imail7 »

kc1di wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:26 am Hello imail7 and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,

Best thing to do when a program will not launch in the menu is to try launching it from the terminal and see if it spits out any error messages.

For instance if your trying to launch software manager go to the terminal and type

mintinstall
and see if it launches from there. If it does then something has gone wrong in the menu. If it will not it should give you an error which may reveal where to look.
Good luck.
Thank you so much for answering,
I've tried the following command in the terminal,

minsinstall
and I got these reactions

alireza@alireza-MIPC ~ $ mintinstall
Detected system architecture: 'x86_64' (using 'x86_64')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/mintinstall.py", line 2034, in <module>
    app = Application()
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/mintinstall.py", line 59, in wrapper
    res = func(*arg)
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/mintinstall.py", line 589, in __init__
    self.load_cache()
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/mintinstall.py", line 59, in wrapper
    res = func(*arg)
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/mintinstall.py", line 550, in load_cache
    self.cache = apt.Cache()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 114, in __init__
    self.open(progress)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 165, in open
    self._cache = apt_pkg.Cache(progress)
SystemError: E:Opening /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openjdk-9-jdk.list - ifstream::ifstream (13: Permission denied), E:The list of sources could not be read.
I should tell it, that I just tried to run Skaiacraft-Minecraft launcher, to do this it needs openjdk-8-jdk or openjdk-9-jdk packages and I installed it through the following command:

sudo apt install openjdk-9-jdk
It was installed as well but I couldn't launch Skaiacraft and It created an error log file where Skaiacraft is.
So I used this command

sudo apt autoremove openjdk-9-jdk
and it was removed as well.
(It's still where I want to launch with Right-click, Open with tab, and OpenJDK Java 9 Runtime) !!!!!

For this error, Should I install openjdk-9-jdk again or what else ?

I've already installed this package again, but I think There are some errors that there were not before it !

alireza@alireza-MIPC ~ $ sudo apt install openjdk-9-jdk
[sudo] password for alireza: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  openjdk-9-jdk-headless
Suggested packages:                                                                                                                                                     
  openjdk-9-demo openjdk-9-source visualvm                                                                                                                              
Recommended packages:                                                                                                                                                   
  libxt-dev                                                                                                                                                             
The following NEW packages will be installed:                                                                                                                           
  openjdk-9-jdk openjdk-9-jdk-headless                                                                                                                                  
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.                                                                                                          
Need to get 0 B/345 kB of archives.                                                                                                                                     
After this operation, 831 kB of additional disk space will be used.                                                                                                     
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y                                                                                                                                        
Selecting previously unselected package openjdk-9-jdk-headless:amd64.                                                                                                   
(Reading database ... 205397 files and directories currently installed.)                                                                                                
Preparing to unpack .../openjdk-9-jdk-headless_9~b114-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...                                                                                            
Unpacking openjdk-9-jdk-headless:amd64 (9~b114-0ubuntu1) ...                                                                                                            
Preparing to unpack .../openjdk-9-jdk_9~b114-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...                                                                                                     
Unpacking openjdk-9-jdk:amd64 (9~b114-0ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-9-jdk_9~b114-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/jvm/java-9-openjdk-amd64/include/linux/jawt_md.h', which is also in package openjdk-9-jdk-headless:amd64 9~b114-0ubuntu1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-9-jdk_9~b114-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I've noticed its size was about 180 MG, but it isn't now
what's happening ?!
Lemonjuice

Post by Lemonjuice »

I got mine craft to work by downloading the launcher directly from mine craft, I am using openjdk 11-jre, some have this working using version 8.
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/openjdk-9-jdk_9~b114-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/jvm/java-9-openjdk-amd64/include/linux/jawt_md.h', which is also in package openjdk-9-jdk-headless:amd64 9~b114-0ubuntu1
Try removing all previously installed parts, you can search them in synaptic.
imail7

Post by imail7 »

Lemonjuice wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:30 pm I got mine craft to work by downloading the launcher directly from mine craft, I am using openjdk 11-jre, some have this working using version 8.
Try removing all previously installed parts, you can search them in synaptic.
Hi,
Actually minecraft is not my problem right now.
Software manager isn't working and it throws errors in the terminal.
I can't find any ways to solve it 'cause I am NEW.
Even though i've installed openjdk-9-jdk before removing it, It does NOT install now and throws above errors.(previous replay)
Thanks anyway
imail7

Post by imail7 »

Isn't anyone to tell me what i gotta do ? :cry:

Return to “Beginner Questions”