cannot log on to email from thunderbird in new Linux mint 19.1 SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davemint94

cannot log on to email from thunderbird in new Linux mint 19.1 SOLVED

Post by davemint94 »

I installed Linux mint 19.1 on my laptop and tried to set up thunderbird. I typed in my wifes username and password and it came back and said that either the username or password were incorrect. I retyped in the information again carefully and it still came back with the same error. I checked my records and verified her login information and it was exactly what I was typing in. I then tried my email and it also came back with the same error.

Thank you for any help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: cannot log on to email from thunderbird in new Linux mint 19.1

Post by kato181 »

I use thunderbird on mint 19.1 and don't have a problem.
That error can happen on occassions if that email was already open on another computer. Are you using POP3 or IMAP.
ensure the following settings are enabled:

For IMAP:
Incoming server address: imap.(your email server) Incoming server port: 993 Encrypted connection: SSL
Outgoing server address: smtp.(your email server) Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587 SMTP authentication: On Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

For POP3 :
Incoming server: pop.(your email server) port:995 or 110, Encrypted connection: SSL
Outgoing server : smtp.(your email server) Port: 465 (recommended) or 587 Authentication: Yes Encrypted connection: With SSL encryption

For older pop versions :
Incoming server address: mail.(your email server) Incoming server port: 995 or (110) Encrypted connection: SSL
Outgoing server address: mail.(your email server) Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587 (or 25) Authentication: Yes Encrypted connection: With SSL encryption

Hope this helps you
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Have you checked whether you inadvertantly put a space in front of either login name or password? I have done it and it screwes up the whole thing. How about your name as shown to others? Have you deleted any old email addresses completely?
If all of that is OK I would recommend completely deleting Thunderbird and reinstalling. If you where setup as IMAP all of your mail and folders will come back as original.
davemint94

Post by davemint94 »

Thank you for your help. Someone from the Thunderbird forum helped with the issue which was related to the IPV6

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1191274

Return to “Beginner Questions”