Motherboard code 90 error after adding second drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Snagletooth
Level 1
Level 1

Motherboard code 90 error after adding second drive

Post by Snagletooth »

OK, so I recently did a fresh install of Linux Mint. After letting it just run for a few days just on the SSD partitions (/ and /home) I added the HDD drive mounted to /home. Ran good for a couple hours then suddenly did a hard reboot on it's own and stuck as it went into code 90 with the fans in high gear.

After getting it shut down and restarted did some looking a round and code 90 is a booting error. I rebooted again in the bios to make sure my boot order there was ok and went back into the OS.

What Im thinking is, when I added the HDD I edited fstab with default and 0 0 boot and nothing else. is the 0 0 boot what caused the hard reboot and error? Should I edit that to 0 3? Or perhaps change or added orders to default line?

This is my current fstab, as I think this is the problem:

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=525cce6e-84d3-42e6-a636-26e5aa751a08 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=5ec02215-90b3-41e5-8ce3-431d1b1ff952 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
/swapfile none swap sw 0 0
#/Data on HDD mounted to /home/Data
UUID=af4c625c-9382-46ed-9f4d-756800e6a71d /home/snagletooth/Data ext4 defaults 0 0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Motherboard code 90 error after adding second drive

Post by deepakdeshp »

Comment out the swap line and reboot to confirm the source of the problem
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Snagletooth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Snagletooth »

By comment out I assume you mean remove/delete the swap entry line from the text?

*Edit;
I am not able to edit now for some reason. I try to save it and Save is greyed out. Save As just tells me it's a read only.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Snagletooth wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:23 am By comment out I assume you mean remove/delete the swap entry line from the text?

*Edit;
I am not able to edit now for some reason. I try to save it and Save is greyed out. Save As just tells me it's a read only.
That's weird, when i attached 2 extra hdd's i just re-booted and they showed up. I never had to edit fstab

To edit fstab do the following:
in Terminal..
sudo su
enter your password
then type :
nano /etc/fstab
then comment out the swap line then hit Ctrl-O to save then Ctrl-X to exit
then type exit x2 to get back to desktop then reboot and see what happens.
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

Snagletooth wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:23 am By comment out I assume you mean remove/delete the swap entry line from the text?
To "comment out" means to change the line into a comment. In this case, put a # symbol at the beginning of the line:

Code: Select all

# /swapfile none swap sw 0 0
This will disable the line from being run, and still leave it in the file, to easily re-enable it after confirming it is not the problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”