HDD LED Stays lit

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Neuron67
Level 1
Level 1

HDD LED Stays lit

Post by Neuron67 »

I can't seem to find any references to the HDD Led staying lit since installation of Linux Mint 19. Has anyone experienced this?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: HDD LED Stays lit

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- Copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

Neuron67 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:27 pm
I can't seem to find any references to the HDD Led staying lit since installation of Linux Mint 19. Has anyone experienced this?
I had a similar issue with the hdd led staying on...the led is an indicator that the drive is in use, a continual led which does not blink as being read indicates a failing drive, or bad sectors. I changed the drive and never had a problem. I did however connected it to my windoz 10 as a data drive, and bingo...windows reported back that to back up your files and data as your hd is failing.
So the next day i turned on windoz and bang.. no data drive detected, so it failed on closing...oneway of testing i suppose. It could also mean that a program that has started has locked itself thus stopping the read/write of the disk.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

'...since installation of Linux Mint 19...has anyone experienced this...' Oh yes. Mint uses the EXT4 file system and that defaults to a 'quick format' to get a writable volume as soon as possible. Then, when the volume is mounted, Linux works its way down the store, testing blocks and initialising the 'inodes'.

It's rather like a house-load of DIY cupboards being delivered... cupboard-and-shelf assembly continues when nothing else is happening. The file-system overhead for EXT4 is a few percent of the volume size and it takes real time to write-verify.

If you format a volume EXT3 instead, it does a write-verify test as it goes. That can take hours on a big volume :( which is why EXT4 skips it during the initialisation.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Neuron67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Neuron67 »

Hey thanks for the info guys! I'm gonna do some more checking on the drive. Linux seems to take a little longer to boot than Windows did also, could be related to the drive being bad?

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

The Accessory Drives will show you the SMART status of a drive, if it has SMART, and a summarised 'health' report.

I have read (in this forum) that the Windows shutdown defaults to a hibernated state in order to speed up the next boot. Linux can do this too but it's not the default. I guess that's because there's too many machines where Linux fails to recover from hibernation (see: Blue Peter tortoise :( )

If you could give some numbers for your Linux boot process? e.g. My Mint machine boots to the login screen in less than a minute.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

Neuron67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Neuron67 »

I've just gotten around to checking the disk and it does report one bad sector. So it's possible that this is the cause of the HDD led staying lit? Are there any other causes I could check for?
Is there any way to correct this without reformatting? If not then I guess I'll have to live with it until I can replace the drive.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

'...report one bad sector...' I would not worry about it unless there's a lot more 'pending reallocation'.

'...possible that this is the cause of the HDD led staying lit...' I doubt it.

'...any way to correct this...' No. The SMART record can't be modified by OS access.

'...reformatting...' will not remove the record of a bad sector. The drive's firmware has decided that the retired sector can't be trusted.

You can 'refresh' a magnetic drive by reading the whole contents and writing it back in a single 'atomic' operation. It takes hours to run, but I always do it on any pre-owned drive that I am given. It's very important that no part of the disk is mounted. Safest is to do it overnight from a Live Session boot...
sudo cp /dev/sdX /dev/sdX

Return to “Newbie Questions”