Problems installing software on Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
PeaceCora
Level 1
Level 1

Problems installing software on Linux Mint

Post by PeaceCora » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 am

Hi, I have downloaded things over and over again but I am unable to open and run anything. It just opens and opens and I am just getting read only files.
What is going wrong? Please help
Last edited by Moem on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into separate topic; old topic was https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by Moem » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 am

PeaceCora wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 am
Hi, I have downloaded things over and over again but I am unable to open and run anything.
What 'things'? Do you expect us to help you without any relevant information? Please help us help you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

PeaceCora
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by PeaceCora » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:08 am

Sorry, I am not computer savvy, I have been trying to download linux repair systems but i am unable to run them. I have noticed in the past that many down loads of software and apps, just save, but dont run.

I managed to update to 18.3, but my back button will not work now.

Hope that helps

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Problems installing software on Linux Mint

Post by Moem » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:13 am

Well, it's a step in the right direction...

- What exactly did you download, and from where?
- What were you trying to repair?
- In which application is this 'back' button you speak of?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

PeaceCora
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeaceCora » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks

- What exactly did you download, and from where? from Linux mint site, boot/ drivers

I just went into my downoads to look and most of them stated that the file was missing,

- What were you trying to repair? Trying to repair the installation of 18.3 to repair drivers

- In which application is this 'back' button you speak of?

After installing the 18.3, the backspace button on the keypad stopped working properly.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 am

so, if you are not computer savvy, then why have been trying to download linux repair systems :?:
- let alone being unable to run them - these things are generally UN-neccessary in most Linux Systems.
don't let your past experience on the Windows System - - to influence you on your New Linux System.

the Linux System, in general, doesn't need that many < extra > drivers,,
as most of those are supplied in the Linux System Kernel.
- - some drivers, are necessary, though,, mostly Video or WiFi drivers.

if the backspace button on the keypad stopped, then that may be an mechanical issue.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:55 am

PeaceCora wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:43 am
from Linux mint site, boot/ drivers
I wouldn't know where to find those, as stated most drivers are already packed within the kernel. Can you give us a link?
I could only find this: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... ivers.html

PeaceCora
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeaceCora » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks.

Obviously just a coincidence then.

PeaceCora
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeaceCora » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:09 am

Sorry I can't answer that.

Thanks for trying to help, but it would seem that anything I try it doesn't work out as described on the Linux Mint site. I can;t afford to have someone sort it out, I'll just have to manage. I'll get back to you when I have more of an insight as to what the basic problem might be.

Thanks for trying to help.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:17 am

There's good chances the basic problem was caused by you downloading arbitrary software and running it. In case of doubt backup your personal files to an USB stick and then do a clean install of the latest Linux Mint 19.1. You might see all your problems "magically" disappear. :)

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:27 am

Moem wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 am
PeaceCora wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 am
Hi, I have downloaded things over and over again but I am unable to open and run anything.
What 'things'? Do you expect us to help you without any relevant information? Please help us help you.
AMEN
gm10 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:17 am
There's good chances the basic problem was caused by you downloading arbitrary software and running it. In case of doubt backup your personal files to an USB stick and then do a clean install of the latest Linux Mint 19.1. You might see all your problems "magically" disappear. :)
AGREE 100%

lets try this list EVERYTHING you have downloaded since installing mint. just maybe we can get an idea of which program and issue you are referring to. please also include ALL of your system specs. also PLEASE let us know why if you aren't computer savvy why you chose 18.3 instead of 19.1. thanks
Last edited by MrGrimm on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:44 am

MrGrimm wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:27 am
also PLEASE let us know why if you aren't computer savy why you chose 18.3 instead of 19.1. thanks
I'm unsure how that helps anyone. They may simply have installed it when it was the most current option. Why does it matter?

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Moem wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:44 am
MrGrimm wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:27 am
also PLEASE let us know why if you aren't computer savy why you chose 18.3 instead of 19.1. thanks
I'm unsure how that helps anyone. They may simply have installed it when it was the most current option. Why does it matter?
sounds like he just installed that's why. just really want an idea of when he installed.

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:28 pm

PeaceCora wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:08 am
Sorry, I am not computer savvy,
No reason to apologize, we've all been there. This is a good place to learn.

Generally its not recommended for inexperienced users to run software that doesn't come from the software manager, if you need help with a specific driver or have any other problems this is the best place to get help.

Here is a great write-up about software installation.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158#p554614

I agree with gm10's advice to reinstall, as suggested its likely to fix your problem.
MrGrimm wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm
sounds like he just installed that's why. just really want an idea of when he installed.
Did you miss the post where the OP stated they had managed to update to 18.3 and now the back button doesn't work?

I try to read and understand all the provided information before asking for more, but sometimes I miss things.

I feel people sometimes ask for information they have no right to without any good reason for doing so.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:03 pm

i agree with the top of stormetder's post.

"No reason to apologize, we've all been there. This is a good place to learn.

Generally its not recommended for inexperienced users to run software that doesn't come from the software manager, if you need help with a specific driver or have any other problems this is the best place to get help.

Here is a great write-up about software installation.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158#p554614

I agree with gm10's advice to reinstall, as suggested its likely to fix your problem."

please ignore the bottom half it had nothing to do with what i asks and was completely unnecessary.

Return to “Newbie Questions”