All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
LLS

Post by LLS »

Last edited by LLS on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Installing Linux on a Chromebook?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Which Chromebook version and what's the hardware?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

A good test would be create a live USB and test it though when installed on a disk will be much faster. But it will give an idea. Mint Xfce is a lighter distro and cinnamon is the heaviest.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

If you want to wipe ChromeOS and do a bare-metal installation of a desktop Linux such as Mint, you'll need to make sure the thing has an Intel processor, not ARM.
As far as I know, it's nowadays also possible to use Crouton to create a sort of dual boot situation, and that may also be possible on an ARM processor; but then you'll be retaining ChromeOS and not have full use of the disk for Linux.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
sleeper12
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sleeper12 »

I guess it's possible, but it doesn't look easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30adn2yc0Ro

Return to “Newbie Questions”