kernel updates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hi_t_moonweed
Level 1
Level 1

kernel updates

Post by hi_t_moonweed » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:00 am

I am currently running 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit version 3.6.7 and my kernel is 4.15.0-43-generic. My update manager has informed me that kernel 4.15.0-45.48~16.04.1 is available. As a newbie and following good advice previously is the mantra "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". Therefore my question is...... should I update or just leave 4.15.0-43 in place? I haven't seen any other FAQ on this subject. Any help is much appreciated.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Re: kernel updates

Post by smurphos » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:08 am

hi_t_moonweed wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:00 am
I haven't seen any other FAQ on this subject.
Update Manager > Help > Contents > Kernel updates :wink:

Given the kernel you are currently running it appears you have applied kernel updates before - is there any particular reason for pause now? A few people had issues with the intervening -44 kernel but other than an odd bug a few people are suffering using a virtual console .45 seems to be fine.

Anyway -45 contains security fixes amongst other things - https://usn.ubuntu.com/3871-4/, as do the majority of kernel updates so the general recommendation for kernel updates is apply them.

If you ever need to roll back from a new kernel that's causing issues for your particular system you can do so by holding shift whilst booting, using the Advanced option to boot using an earlier known working kernel and once booted remove the problematic kernel via Update manager > View > Linux Kernels. Alternatively use timeshift.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

hi_t_moonweed
Level 1
Level 1

Re: kernel updates

Post by hi_t_moonweed » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:55 am

Thanks smurphos, I wasn't sure if it was a beta version or not so I will install... take care.

Return to “Newbie Questions”