Mint7 x64 Halts Unexpectedly

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kmrdeva
Level 1
Level 1

Mint7 x64 Halts Unexpectedly

Post by kmrdeva » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:29 am

Hi again guys,

My PC with Gloria x64 has been hanging up (i.e. no errors, no beeps, no warnings) on me these last couple of days (it was stable for more than a month before this) and I would like to get to the bottom of the issue. I'd like to ask for some pointers to get my troubleshooting task started, as in what tools I should run, which logfiles I should read.

PC Specs:

Intel Core2Quad Q8400 (2.66GHz with 4MB cache)
Intel DG45ID Motherboard (onboard graphics 4500HD disabled)
8GB RAM DDR2 (4 x 800MHz 2GB modules)
1TB SATA Hard Drive (WD with 32MB cache)
Nvidia 9500GT PCie graphics

OS Info and Main Apps:
Mint7 x64 (I upgraded from RC1 via 'apt-get dist-upgrade')
Gnome with Compiz disabled
WICD with Network-Manager disabled
ALSA (not using PulseAudio)
Firefox 3.0.11
Filezilla 3.2.5
GnomeRDP 0.2.3
Audacious 1.5.1 (for music)
SMPlayer 0.6.7 (for video)

Usually, I tend to have 2 user accounts logged in concurrently, mine (system admin rights enabled) and my son's, with the latter active on the screen in case he wants to watch videos or listen to music. The last 3 hangs happened while we left the PC idle (Filezilla was running in the background in my account's session, downloading about 30GB of files).

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestion.. :)
Regards,
Kumar
- Mint7 x64 on a PC with Intel Q8400 CPU, Intel DG45ID M/Board, 8GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia 9500GT, 320GB & 1TB SATA HDDs -

NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint7 x64 Halts Unexpectedly

Post by NiksaVel » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:28 am

Hi,

I just wanted to post that I have the same issue with mint 7 main edition on my "server" computer.

I find the computer more often than not completely frozen, with monitor in standby mode, not responding to mouse or keyboard. Must press the reset button.

The computer is normally only running skype and deluge.
It was working normally with elyssa...

I guess I should look at some log files, but I need help with that...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

kmrdeva
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint7 x64 Halts Unexpectedly

Post by kmrdeva » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:59 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I think I've found the root cause - it is 1 (or 2) of my DDR2 memory modules (yes, hardware problem). Booted into Mint+memtest mode and found loads of errors during the tests. Pulled 2 of my DIMMs out and re-ran the memtest and the remaining 2 memory modules passed all tests. I'm sending the faulty RAM to my vendor today and am now reasonably happy with my 'stable-again' Gloria x64 with 4GB RAM.

The moral of the story - don't be so quick to blame the OS as it may be a hardware issue that's screwing up your experience..
Regards,
Kumar
- Mint7 x64 on a PC with Intel Q8400 CPU, Intel DG45ID M/Board, 8GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia 9500GT, 320GB & 1TB SATA HDDs -

Return to “Newbie Questions”