<SOLVED> Firefox Won't Open After Upgrade to Mint 19.1

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ablebaker
Level 2
Level 2

<SOLVED> Firefox Won't Open After Upgrade to Mint 19.1

Post by ablebaker »

Today I upgraded from 18.3 to 19.1 (Cinnamon) and then copied my home directory from an external hard drive to the new install, but now Firefox won’t open. A Profile Missing window appears with the message: “Your Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible.”

The .mozilla directory appears to have copied intact from my backup. I don't know how to proceed.

Help in getting Firefox working would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by ablebaker on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox Won't Open After Upgrade to Mint 19.1

Post by MrGrimm »

since you do have a backup first i would completely remove firefox and reinstall it. then let it run once without restoring your backup. then shut it down, go into your saved profile folder and copy everything from it, go to .mozilla/firefox/ open the profile folder there, delete everything and then paste what you copies from your saved profile into that folder. now firefox should launch just fine. if you still having the issue after this then others will have to weigh in, cause this always works for me rather it's linux or windows. same procedure i have followed for all browsers for years.

ablebaker
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox Won't Open After Upgrade to Mint 19.1

Post by ablebaker »

Thank you MrGrimm for your reply. Before I saw your response, I solved this by deleting the profiles.ini file and moving the .default directory once again from the backup drive. All bookmarks and settings seem to have made the transition satisfactorily. I think this approach is essentially what you've suggested too.

I've no idea why it worked this time and not the first time I copied all data from the backup.

Thanks again for your help.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: <SOLVED> Firefox Won't Open After Upgrade to Mint 19.1

Post by MrGrimm »

you're welcome :D :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”