[SOLVED] issue with update of Adobe Flash

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cmdrmic
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [RESOLVED]issue with update of Adobe Flash

Post by cmdrmic »

The easiest fix for me was to take one of the new uber fast SanDisk 64gb USB3 Jump drives and do a full install of Linux Mint 19.1 from a burned CD. With the duel boot installed, I can easily get into 19.1 when I need flash - which works fine now, by default with Firefox upon full install (will NOT work in the Live CD ver. or via a USB - live ver. You must do a full install on a Jump (which is a little tricky for some).

Below: Just a ref. for some not familiar with a full install of Linux Mint - to a USB Jump drive.

Summarizing FULLY Install to USB Jump Method:

1. Boot to a live CD version from either a CD or another USB (installed with a Live CD ver. via Unetbootin). CD will be easiler for most.
2. Choose Something Else at install screen as to where to install.
3. Choose the USB Drive you wish to install to.
4. CHANGE the File System on the USB drive to EXT4.
5.Make the MOUNT POINT the root (forward slash).
6.Change to highlight the USB Drive you wish to Install to.
7.Set: "Device for Bootloader Destination" to be the Boot Sector the Primary Drive.
8.Proceed with installation.

This will give you the GRUB menu at boot, <<<BUT>>> USB Jump with Full Install will have to be plugged... or GRUB will hang on boot.

Fix.

After bootup to main system (not the Jump), install: GRUB CUSTOMIZER
Use Grub Customizer to reorder boot, save, and transfer to MBR.

9. Reboot, you will no longer have to have the USB drive installed to boot.

Get Grub Customizer:

Grub Customizer:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
redlined

Post by redlined »

cmdrmic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:02 pm The easiest fix for me was to
avoid upgrade LM17 at all costs :?:

cheeky, but true (and not meant to be insulting, regardless)... I don't know if it can be said enough, but LM17 is no longer supported in 6 weeks +/-(assuming very last day/end of month April 2019)

also, grub-customizer is an option many very experienced voices in these forums caution against using, so including such a caution in recommendations for future benefit is encouraged- as is adding do your own due diligence to determine if PPA add is safe value added benefit. But I digress, as this is not a tutorial thread, rather one on how to avoid upgrade a rapidly out of date OS to something current and supported (even a jump to LM18.x would fix the issue).

I do agree it is ridiculous to consider upgrade OS just to have good flash (a notoriously unsafe product all on it's own, and soon to removed from planet earth by adobe, who is already only rolling security fixes for it, until next year).

As much effort as you put into squeezing out a few more supported days of LM17 may have seen much better results had you focused on backing up personal files and settings, then planning and completing upgrade or fresh install into stable OS (LM18x or 19x) with years of support left remaining. By now you'd be rocking your flash sites, without a need for full install on usb stick, from the convenience of /home

it's really no matter to me either way and really my response is more to urge you to add cautions where appropriate (ppa adding and grub-customizer in that regard). Otherwise I think you could tidy up that mini-how to: by clarify #3 adn #6 (both sound like #3, which is something you certainly want to do Before #4)
oh, and definitely be much more clear about #7
cmdrmic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:02 pm Summarizing FULLY Install to USB Jump Method:
1. Boot to a live CD version from either a CD or another USB (installed with a Live CD ver. via Unetbootin). CD will be easiler for most.
2. Choose Something Else at install screen as to where to install.
3. Choose the USB Drive you wish to install to.
4. CHANGE the File System on the USB drive to EXT4.
5.Make the MOUNT POINT the root (forward slash).
6.Change to highlight the USB Drive you wish to Install to.
7.Set: "Device for Bootloader Destination" to be the Boot Sector the Primary Drive.
8.Proceed with installation.
Hope this helps, and glad you got it sorted 8)
cmdrmic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cmdrmic »

Thanks for the great reply my friend. Alas, I am afraid I am no where near your level of expertise here. Yes, I will soon probably "bite the bullet" and do a full new install of 19.1 on a spanking new 480gb SSD San Disk Ultra II, which are now only $85 on Amazon. So, with that in hand, I will slowly work on getting that bloody thing up to speed, in the meantime, pop back in my trusty 17.3.

Really, not sure what there is to worry about, concerning the Grub Customizer... Actually, half of it does not even work, as far as the colours go. But it did fix, that particularly nasty problemo of having the need for the drive to always be plugged in. At any rate, I certainly appreciate your thoughts and considerations on this issue. I am SURE, it is effects many more folks than are posting here.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Hi cmdrmic,

Update Manager just offered another Firefox version 65. Perhaps you can check to see if Adobe Flash works with this one.

I can't since I switched to the ESR version a few days ago.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
cmdrmic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cmdrmic »

Yes, tried it last night. When I go to this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

And test, I DO NOT see the tree animation at bottom. So, no fix.

I believe this is not a Firefox problem, perhaps not even a Adobe Flash problem. I think the problem is in Linux Mint 17.3 itself.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

cmdrmic wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:06 pm Yes, tried it last night. When I go to this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

And test, I DO NOT see the tree animation at bottom. So, no fix.

I believe this is not a Firefox problem, perhaps not even a Adobe Flash problem. I think the problem is in Linux Mint 17.3 itself.
I don't see the animation there either until I click the lock symbol left of the url address. Then select Allow Flash & reload. That's how it works for me on Mint 18 & 19 anyway.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

As this topic is marked resolved, maybe I should've started a new thread, but this one seems appropriate.

My wife plays mostly card games [including Aisleriot] in Firefox, on Mint 18.2.
She gets repeated notices to update Adobe Flash, and when we try to do so, it merely tells us that it's already installed.

Should we just be patient and wait for the update? Or in the absence of shockwave flash, what does one have to use to play games and other things that require it?
Are there any alternatives?
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Solved the Cards issue by installing 'pysol' from Synaptic - worth looking at if one is into card games.
The question still remains regarding alternatives to Shockwave Flash if required when not available.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

We're still waiting for the most recent flash update from Mint. So, either wait or see here:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=296125
md419
Level 2
Level 2

Post by md419 »

I was also having this problem on Mint 19.1 MATE; Firefox version 67.0.3 until just now (I use Flash to play one single game)

I ended up having to switch over to the flashplugin-installer package to solve it 👍🏾
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

norm.h wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:18 pm The question still remains regarding alternatives to Shockwave Flash if required when not available.
"But what happens to all the existing content out there that can be rendered only on the Flash player? For existing Flash content, the eventual, final version of the Flash plug-in will still work after 2020, and Adobe will work with browser makers to ensure security vulnerabilities are patched. " Source - https://www.andplus.com/blog/flash-is-d ... whats-next

Installed flashplugin installer via Synaptic - card games now working OK as before.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”