[SOLVED] issue with update of Adobe Flash

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Marty Feldman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: issue with update of Adobe Flash

Post by Marty Feldman »

Thanks sleeper12 - I did that, and Flash is reading Always Activate.
Closed Firefox, then reopened it.
Tried Jigidi and got the same no-image and the same message as before.
Incidently, I have an inquiry filed with Jigidi describing the issue and asking if they can suggest what needs to be fixed. They have acknowledged my inquiry and say they are looking into it. No other response from them yet.

-Marty-
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

That's strange, does about:plugins say that flash is Enabled? Try resetting it in Add-Ons from Always Activate to Ask to Activate & back again.
Marty Feldman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marty Feldman »

Yes, State=Enabled.
I reset from Always Activate to Ask to Activate, then clicked back on Always Activate.
No change in Jigidi - still not opening the image of the puzzle pieces, and same error message.

At the bottom of the add-ons manager screen that shows state=enabled, "Preferences" shows the statement "Block dangerous and intrusive Flash content", which has a checkbox with a checkmark in the box. The "Show More" box explaining this reads as follows:

"The Flash plugin is blocked on some sites by default
The Flash plugin can cause security, speed and stability problems on some sites. In order to give you a safe, fast and stable browsing experience, Firefox automatically blocks Flash on some websites that potentially cause problems.

What kind of websites are on Firefox's blocklist?

Firefox blocks Flash on the following sites:

Websites that are embedded in other websites.
Sites that use plugins unnecessarily. If a popular website does not need Flash to work properly, Flash will be automatically blocked in order to give you a faster and better browsing experience.

For more information about domain blocking, see Blocking by Domain on Mozilla Developer Network.
Enabling Flash

Some websites require Flash in order to display properly. Here's how to enable Flash.
This is not recommended as it may cause security and stability issues.

Click the menu button new fx menu .
Click Add-ons
Click the Plugins panel.
Find Flash on the list and click Preferences.
Remove the checkmark next to Block dangerous and intrusive Flash content."

-Marty-
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

I wouldn't mess with that. Flash works fine for me on Jigidi with Firefox. Does flash work for you anywhere else? See if it works here:
http://www.kidsgamehouse.com/games/casual-bowling
Piers66
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Piers66 »

Hello,

I seem to be having a similar problem. Apologies for posting in someone else's thread, please tell me if I should make another post.

A page I was able to access before the weekend (for choosing seats for a concert) now results in a blank white box where I used to get a seating plan.

I've tried the site sleeper12 suggested to test, the kidsgamehouse.com one, and after clicking on the 'Run Adobe Flash' link, just get a white space where (presumably) there ought to be a game of some kind.

I installed several software updates over the weekend including Firefox and the Linux kernel (I think).

I have clicked on the link in karichen's post to check which version I have installed (https://get.adobe.com/de/flashplayer/about/), but of course it requires a working flash to run the analysis tool (so I looked at the Add-ons page instead). I note, however, that further down that page there's a table which suggests that the latest player is 32.0.0.142, not 114.

I haven't tried un-installing or re-installing anything yet.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Piers.

Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 32-bit
Firefox 65.0
Shockwave Flash 32.0.0.114
Main: Dell E6410 - 8GB RAM / 500GB HDD - Dual Boot Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit / Win 10
Backup: iMac 5.1 - 3GB RAM / 240GB HDD - Dual Boot Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit / OSX 10.5.8
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

To all,

I just got the update for flash 32.0.0.142. You should get it & take it & see if that solves anything.
Piers66
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Piers66 »

Hello,

I've updated to 32.0.0.142, but it hasn't helped.

Piers.
Main: Dell E6410 - 8GB RAM / 500GB HDD - Dual Boot Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit / Win 10
Backup: iMac 5.1 - 3GB RAM / 240GB HDD - Dual Boot Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit / OSX 10.5.8
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Well, I'm starting to wonder if this is a Mint 17.3 issue. In any case, this worked for someone in another thread, so might be worth a try: Run these commands, then Reboot:

apt purge adobe-flashplugin
apt clean
apt update
apt install adobe-flashplugin
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

I think it's Mint 17 combined with Firefox.

Mint 17 Firefox - does not work
Mint 17 Opera - works
Mint 17 Vivaldi - works
Mint 19 Firefox - works

Update: Mint 19 Chromium works, Mint 19 Opera works.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
redlined

Post by redlined »

Marty Feldman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:13 pm Or try out the HTML5-based version we're working on."
is not an option you will consider?

flash is gross, even adobe is anxious to get rid of it (and will be in the near future). chromium/chome may be better if flash is required by you, they use pepperflash. there is also a pepperflash wrapper where you can use chrome's up-to-date pepperflash, however I would not recommend it unless you further sandbox firefox (using firejail and/or apparmor)

ps. hiya sleeper12, by strange coincidence I had to search back and reference another scary old flash thread we engaged in some time back :oops: :lol: (for a different forum thread than this one, just thought I'd say hi since I was here and looking around)
Marty Feldman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marty Feldman »

Ran these 4 commands:
apt purge adobe-flashplugin
apt clean
apt update
apt install adobe-flashplugin

rebooted

Jigidi still not opening the game screen

Created an account for Kids' Game Home, opened it, tried several games, including Sidekick Soccer. Results similar to Jigidi: Program opens, recognizes my and my password, will bring up a screen for a selected game, but then will not open the starting screen for the game itself - the screen where the game should, I believe, appear is mostly a white field.

A chess game which, like Jigidi, I open with a desktop icon, and which, like Jigidi, is one I have played for a long time, is: https://lichess.org/FVzXwRah
It has no problems - it opens fully, I can play a complete game and use all program functions, no warnings or popups.

Menu/Addons ---> Flash version 32.0.0.142.
Menu/Help/About ---> Firefox Quantum 65.0 (64-bit).

-Marty-
redlined

Post by redlined »

that lichess.org link opened fine and once I permitted scripts it started playing the game (I have purged flash from my system so this tells me html5 is involved there.

Take another look at kevin987 reply, it may be as simple as FF on LM17 just doesn't do good flash anymore :?:

also consider seeing if your original site, which does offer html5 version works, using their html5 version instead of flash. It is worth considering even adobe will abandon flash security updates this year, and LM17 support expires April so in less than two months you will want to be upgrading to LM18 or LM19 or other distro anyway.

edit to add: just found jigidi.com and saw the pretty purple puzzle, clicked it got wartning about no flash so hit the try html5 version, gave some script permissions and am finishing up the purple lady now. seems pretty simple to bypass their flash version. Hope this helps~
Last edited by redlined on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Marty,

I've already established that Mint 17 and Firefox can't use Adobe Flash for now. You'll have to use another web browser as stated above or a newer version of Mint if you want to use Firefox.

Lichess is not using Flash, so the comparison is not applicable.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Interesting, I guess that's about as far as we can take this then, unless someone swoops in with a solution. As said, best you can do is use their html5, a different browser or upgrade Mint to a newer version.

redlined,
I just went back to that old thread too, hoped that fix would work here, but no such luck. :(

kevin987,
Thanks for confirming my suspicion, so it is a Mint17 Firefox thing. :?
Piers66
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Piers66 »

Hello,

I tried the purge and reinstall also, but it's made no difference.

I do actually have Opera installed (I'd completely forgotten!) and tried accessing the same venue/ticket site, but got an error page from the site which I don't get using Firefox (or Internet Explorer under Win10).

I can, however, access the kidsgamehouse site, and Flash seems to be working OK there, so I'll post my Opera problem in another thread.

Piers.
Marty Feldman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marty Feldman »

sleeper12 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 pm Interesting, I guess that's about as far as we can take this then, unless someone swoops in with a solution. As said, best you can do is use their html5....
Agreed. It would therefore seem best to bring this thread to a close, with my sincerest thanks to all of you who have helped and contributed.

I will use html5 to get around the original problem (screen not opening in Jigidi after latest round of LM installs).

I am inclined to stick with Firefox, so the path to a full fix, should I want to do it, would seem to be to upgrade from my present LM17.3Rosa/Cinnamon 2.8.8. I doubt that I have the knowledge to successfully negotiate that, and I plan to start a new thread to enquire about what would be entailed in backing up what I have and then doing a fresh full install of LM19.1. Should no further errors or complications or failures occur with my present system, just sitting tight with what I have now is the attractive alternative. Thanks again to all of you.

-Marty-
redlined

Post by redlined »

Marty Feldman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:11 pm Should no further errors or complications or failures occur with my present system, just sitting tight with what I have now is the attractive alternative.
heya Marty! good sticking with it, verifying html5 version works, as well considering upgrade OS (fresh install versus official upgrade path 17-19 is just ugh)

I left the above quoted to point out, perhaps was typo (re: meant to say unattractive?), but if read as is then I'd say the attractiveness of sitting tight with 17.3 will lose it's luster real fast. In April (2019) support for 17.3 will end, meaning no more repo updates- and that timebomb starts ticking quickly.

Looking forward to your fresh install advices thread too
(think aptik, it is a good friend to have onboard :mrgreen:
cmdrmic
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [RESOLVED]issue with update of Adobe Flash

Post by cmdrmic »

I am using Linux Mint 17.3 I have been working all night trying everything trying to get Flash to function within Firefox or Chrome, or Opera even. The behavior is always the same... I get the dialogue box to allow Flash. I say yes. The Flash app then starts and DOES NOT RUN. The app window remains blank, or without info. I have tried everything. It seems to uninstall and install just fine. Adobe test sees Flash, but on their test site, the animation does not run. Just blank. Like everywhere else. Any help greatly appreciated. I have tried everything I could find. Ugh!
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Don't waste your time trying to get it to work on 17.3. Best solution is to upgrade your Mint to a newer version. Support for 17.3 is ending soon anyway (April 2019).
Last edited by sleeper12 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

cmdrmic wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:42 pm I am using Linux Mint 17.3 I have been working all night trying everything trying to get Flash to function within Firefox or Chrome, or Opera even. The behavior is always the same... I get the dialogue box to allow Flash. I say yes. The Flash app then starts and DOES NOT RUN. The app window remains blank, or without info. I have tried everything. It seems to uninstall and install just fine. Adobe test sees Flash, but on their test site, the animation does not run. Just blank. Like everywhere else. Any help greatly appreciated. I have tried everything I could find. Ugh!
Forget about Firefox, for now at least.

Did you try http://www.kidsgamehouse.com/games/casual-bowling to test.

What versions of Chrome and Opera are you using.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)

Return to “Beginner Questions”