Getting Epson Perfection V370 Scanner fully working under Mint 19.1 MATE?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
darkstrike
Level 4
Level 4

Getting Epson Perfection V370 Scanner fully working under Mint 19.1 MATE?

Post by darkstrike » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi all - trying to help a lady set up her new Epson Perfection V370 scanner under Mint MATE 19.1 64-bit. I've done all of the following and reached a point where all scanning programs will recognized the scanner and successfully scan from the scanner's flatbed, but we receive errors when we try to scan from the scanner's top slide/film negatives 'Transparency Unit'. As she chiefly wants this scanner to be able to scan a large collection of old film negatives, having only the flatbed functioning is useless to her.

To date, to get to where I am now with ONLY the flatbed scanner portion working, I have done the following:

1. Just downloading and installing the correct Epson-provided drivers from here: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX
...did not work.

2. I also installed everything to do with SANE from the Package Manager in case something important was missing.

3. I installed the Xsane scanning program as well (Simple Scan is already installed and Epson's Image Scan software was installed in Step 1).

4. I ran this Terminal command:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -sfr /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane
...found here: viewtopic.php?p=1498713#p1498713 I also created a '/etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules'
file with the contents:

Code: Select all

# chmod device EPSON group
ATTRS{manufacturer}=="EPSON", DRIVERS=="usb", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="*", MODE="0777"
...as described there as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure what else to try. Anybody have any ideas how to get the Transparency Unit to work for slides / film under Linux?

Return to “Newbie Questions”