(Speed up/Clean up) Solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

(Speed up/Clean up) Solved

Post by BoDill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:52 pm

In an attempt to "speed up my Linux", I opened a site which is supposed to help me do that. Unfortunately, the first set of instructions that I read with the idea of executing read as follows:

" Clear the updates cache
2. Launch Synaptic Package Manager.

Panel of Synaptic: Settings - Preferences - Files

Select: Delete downloaded packages after installation

Press the button: Delete Cached Package Files"

Now, first of all, I do not know how to find the "Synaptic Package Manager". I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find it, or figure out where to look for it, etc. with no luck. Can anyone either put these instructions in a form that an idiot (me) can follow? Or perhaps recommend some place where a completely inexperienced user can find "clean up/speed up" instructions? Think of "Speed up for idiots"...

Thank you in advance,
BoDill

Edit: I found a post of my own from the past that told me to completely disable and unplug my entire system, then start it again, and see if it's faster...and it worked!
Last edited by BoDill on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

MrEen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Speed up/Clean up

Post by MrEen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi BoDill.

It should be in your Menu. It can also be launched from the terminal with synaptic-pkexec

kevin987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevin987 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Try looking in Menu --> Administration
Linux Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon)
LMDE 3 (Cinnamon)
Peppermint 9 (LXDE)

sleeper12
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sleeper12 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Synaptic Package Manager is in the Menu (bottom lower left). More speed up tips here:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID1.1

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:04 pm

In your menu look in the left column under System heading. It will be listed as Package Manager.
Your Mint 17 will be end of life regarding support in a couple of months though.
Your hardware will most likely be your speed barrier. Have you added any ram or other
hardware upgrades?
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

gm10
Level 16
Level 16

Post by gm10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:04 pm

BoDill wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:52 pm
You don't really need to do anything. This is happening automatically by default on all supported versions of Linux Mint now (assuming you applied the latest updates to mintsystem), cached packages will be cleared after a week or when the cache reaches a certain size.

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm

BoDill wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:52 pm
In an attempt to "speed up my Linux", I opened a site which is supposed to help me do that. Unfortunately, the first set of instructions that I read with the idea of executing read as follows:
2. Launch Synaptic Package Manager.
That won't speed up linux. What is the mysterious website ?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox/pulse-less
Lubuntu LXDE/fluxbox/pulse-less

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:42 pm

First, since so many answered so quickly, I have not tried the proposed solutions yet, although I DID try looking at the menu and all sorts of other places with no luck before I posted. Please believe me that I do NOT just go to the forums unless I am really stuck.

The website with the instructions is as follows:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html

I have business to attend to right now, so, Thank You, and more later,
BoDill
OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

(Re: Speed up/Clean up)Solved

Post by BoDill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:50 pm

To all of you who responded;
First, thank you for your support. Next, I finally figured out how to follow the directions and I turns out that my system is already set up the way it is described in the directions. Perhaps I already did this some time ago; at over 70 years old I simply have very little memory any more (that is MY memory, not the computer's). At this point I think that the sudden slow speed of my system may have something to do with my phone provider (Verizon) who seems to be working on telephone poles all over this area. Since this drop in speed came up suddenly, it might not be a problem in my computer.

At this point, I do not have any intelligent questions to ask nor things to say, but I will check back to this forum in a day or two. So if you have any helpful hints or comments, please put them down. As always, I sincerely appreciate your help and patience.

BoDill

I am going to mark the first post in this series "Solved", because I found the answer in a previous post of my own from long ago!!!!

Return to “Newbie Questions”