My hands have started to shake.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

My hands have started to shake.

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Hello all,

Allow me to preface this inquiry by saying that I don’t know if this is an appropriate matter to bring to this board, but I feel the need to start somewhere.

My hands have started to shake and while there’s not much that can be done about that situation, I’m looking for a software solution that might migrate the issue.

Here are some instances: 1) I’m using a 14 pt typeface and it ‘s still difficult to select just one character if I want to make a change. 2) It’s difficult to place the cursor just where I want. 3) It’s almost impossible for me to stop on a window border to change its size by dragging. 4) It can be quite difficult to copy and paste, my hand will shake all over and then copy stuff I don’t want.

Here is a copy of the result of running the inxi -Fxz command:

Code: Select all

<user>@<user>-Z370XP-SLI:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: <user>-Z370XP-SLI Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.31) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Gigabyte product: Z370XP SLI serial: N/A
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z370XP SLI-CF v: x.x serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F8 date: 07/05/2018
Battery    hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
           model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K330 status: Discharging
CPU:       6 core Intel Core i5-8600K (-MCP-) 
           arch: Skylake rev.10 cache: 9216 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 43200
           clock speeds: max: 4300 MHz 1: 1090 MHz 2: 3655 MHz 3: 3861 MHz
           4: 3676 MHz 5: 3684 MHz 6: 3572 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 3e92 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2

[Balance of inxi -Fxz command output omitted.]

Note: When checking the Kernel Version in Update manager, UM shows all 14-18.xx_xx Kernels. UM does not show any 14.15.xx_xx Kernels???

Thank you in advance for any advice or comments anyone might share.

Respectfully, Massively Ignorant
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: My hands have started to shake.

Post by gm10 »

Regarding your control issue I'd suggest to use the keyboard more, it's usually easier to get a steady grip on a key than keep a mouse cursor steady. Otherwise adjust mouse acceleration and sensitivity, maybe get a high dpi mouse with a dpi selector.

Regarding your Update Manager issue I would suggest a misunderstanding on your part but if you can provide a screenshot we can discuss that further. According to your inxi output you are using the latest version of the default 4.15 series, so Update Manager would be working as intended.
redlined

Post by redlined »

you may want to consider accessibility and/or different theme(s) to help with shake issues (both are found in Mint menu).

about the kernel, your results show 4.15.0-45 so at least that one is installed, for sure. Look to the left edge of that kernel view from UM, see if 4.15 is listed below 4.18 and click that to look there for results showing what is on local machine.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Massively ignorant wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:55 pm Hello all,

Allow me to preface this inquiry by saying that I don’t know if this is an appropriate matter to bring to this board, but I feel the need to start somewhere.

My hands have started to shake and while there’s not much that can be done about that situation, I’m looking for a software solution that might migrate the issue.

Here are some instances: 1) I’m using a 14 pt typeface and it ‘s still difficult to select just one character if I want to make a change. 2) It’s difficult to place the cursor just where I want. 3) It’s almost impossible for me to stop on a window border to change its size by dragging. 4) It can be quite difficult to copy and paste, my hand will shake all over and then copy stuff I don’t want.

Here is a copy of the result of running the inxi -Fxz command:

<user>@<user>-Z370XP-SLI:~$ inxi -Fxz
System: Host: <user>-Z370XP-SLI Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.31) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop System: Gigabyte product: Z370XP SLI serial: N/A
Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z370XP SLI-CF v: x.x serial: N/A
UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F8 date: 07/05/2018
Battery hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K330 status: Discharging
CPU: 6 core Intel Core i5-8600K (-MCP-)
arch: Skylake rev.10 cache: 9216 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 43200
clock speeds: max: 4300 MHz 1: 1090 MHz 2: 3655 MHz 3: 3861 MHz
4: 3676 MHz 5: 3684 MHz 6: 3572 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Device 3e92 bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Coffeelake 3x8 GT2

[Balance of inxi -Fxz command output omitted.]

Note: When checking the Kernel Version in Update manager, UM shows all 14-18.xx_xx Kernels. UM does not show any 14.15.xx_xx Kernels???

Thank you in advance for any advice or comments anyone might share.

Respectfully, Massively Ignorant
fwiw:
Ignorant does not apply here--you have provided correct and pertinent information with your support request.
The massively ignorant do not.
Double thumbs up and I hope you will find a solution.
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi Massively ignorant.

Sorry to hear about the hands shaking!

For window resizing, this works in Xfce, but I don't know about others; right click in the titlebar of a window that isn't maximized and select Resize, then just move the mouse around until the window is the size you want then left click.

If you can still use the keyboard reliably, you could use the arrow keys to navigate to letters you want to change. Get the cursor behind the letter you want to change then hit the Backspace key.

Hope some of that might be helpful!
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

All,

Thank you for your replies, I'm too tired to pursue the various suggestions tonight, I will remark, I also have problems with typos due to the shanking hand issue, BIG SIGH. I will pursue the various suggestions at a later date.

Respectfully Massively ignorant. [One can follow directions and still feel as if one's knowledge base is very, very small, hence the deliberate use of Mi as a user name.]
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

MrEen wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:15 pm Hi Massively ignorant.

Sorry to hear about the hands shaking!

For window resizing, this works in Xfce, but I don't know about others; right click in the titlebar of a window that isn't maximized and select Resize, then just move the mouse around until the window is the size you want then left click.
Once you have clicked resize, you can also use the arrow buttons to resize the window
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Something else that may also assist, You can find keyboards with larger than usual keys on them to assist people such as yourself. Have a look in the shops that cater for people with a disability. They should be able to assist with any other needs you might have, too.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i have one solution for resizing the XFCE windows. use ALT + RIGHT CLICK in any corner, left or right, top or bottom side of any terminal or file manager and it will resize. it even works with browsers
MrEen also posted RIGHT CLICK the title bar and select resize
Last edited by trytip on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

User trytip pointed me in the direction of your thread as I've got some experience with tweaking themes.

On XFCE would this kind of thing help? You can change the window-border and title theme in XFCE via the WIndow-Manager settings from the menu. The one selected and the one immediately above both have much bigger window title buttons and the 'grab' area on the borders to resize by mouse is slightly thicker than the other options. Having said that I second the suggestion to resize via right click on the title and selecting the resize option.

Do you have a preferred theme (Mint-Y, Mint-X) etc? Let me know and we will see how it can be tweaked to help with wider scrollbars etc.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
jondoe

Post by jondoe »

Hello ,

So Sorry to hear about your Hand Condition .

I am not sure if this will help , but they make "Mice" ( mouse) with a Track Ball. Where maybe you could plant you hand firmly down on the Mouse
and move the track ball with your thumb or a finger, rather than move the mouse around the mouse pad .

Also Logitec makes an ergonomic mouse it is pricey Like $100 dollars. I purchased one from Best Buy and it did not work out for me and they allowed me to take it back. (i think this mouse is for like folks with carpo tunnel) . Instead of your right thumb facing west so to speak, your thumb would be pointing say North with a "Z axis" ( on top, or pointing towards the ceiling).

p.s. Pretty much anything you can do with a mouse can be done with a keyboard. It can be tricky to get the hang of it all so a bit of a learning curve.

Best of Luck to you.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

All, Thank you for the thoughtful replies, much appreciated. Alas, I have been struggling with poor health for several years and didn’t have the motivation to pursue these issues. [One’s own health, while of some interest to the respondent, is a very boring subject to inflict upon others, therefore let this be the last mention thereof.]

Those of you who may have been back to this post will have noted the considerable number of folks who have recommended learning to use the keyboard for getting around the desktop, this is a matter I intend to pursue as time allows.

GM 10, and others who responded to the Update Manager issue; GM10 is completely correct, the 4.15.xx-xx kernels are there, I just didn’t recognize it, sigh. FWIW. As of this writing, UM shows the currently active kernel to be 4.18.0-16, A copy of the “System” line taken as of this writing agrees; System: Host: <user> Kernel: 4.18.0-16-generic x86_64. There have been at least two new Kernels installed since I first started this thread.

Others have been so kind as to suggest other tweaks and I will pursue those also.

Keyboard and mouse: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/11052?crid=1759 Wireless Combo MK270. [I think, couldn’t find the model number, grr.]
(I only use the keyboard out of this combo.)

I use a https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... e-business Trackman corded trackball.

I have tried the https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... 570?crid=7 M570 wireless trackball, but don’t much care for it, I have found that moving the ball with your thumb is as difficult or easy as using one’s pointer and index fingers on the corded trackball where the ball is centered. I have used one form or another of trackball mouse for the last twenty years at least, I do not like the old type of mouse with the ball underneath nor the newer optical type of mouse, they both seem to require lots of “real estate”.

I’m hoping I didn’t miss anyone, however, I’m going to need to actually try various things before I can report further.

A jocular visual: I have a Victor© Rat Trap, about twice the size of a Victor© Mouse Trap, I’ve been keeping an old wired mouse stuck in the trap, just a little bit of bizarre humor.

Again, much thanks to all who have replied.

Respectfully, Massively ignorant.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000 ... B003VAHYQY

you can also experiment with using a game controller to control mouse. i have this cheap game controller hooked up. apt install xserver-xorg-input-joystick will make it work (you need to reboot after install) and you then can use the left stick to move the mouse, the red button simulates right-click, blue button simulates left-click no setup needed. if you hold blue button you can simulate holding down left-click

ps: if you installed an hwe kernel which replaced xorg you'll need xserver-xorg-input-joystick-hwe-18.04
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

All,
I have been working on the various suggestions, to repeat; Many thanks to all of you.

I spent some time looking for a Joystick, I found one that wasn't a "gaming" JS and the description stated that that JS will work with a Linux system, so that seems to be encouraging.

While I was looking for a suitable JS I also looked for a keyboard, I've had less success with that quest.

Sometimes, I wonder if my problems have something of a cognitive nature or perhaps cognitive issues are a component; Today I was typing out a sentence, I "thought" of a word in a sentence but rereading that sentence, I found I hadn't typed the word at all! Similarly, I'll be typing along, but I will leave letters out of words. If asked, I would have claimed I had typed the word correctly, but that's not always the case. These are usually quite simple one-syllable words! Spellcheck usually finds that sort of thing, but not always and it's not that I don't know how to spell these short words.

As always; thank you, and respectfully, Massively ignorant.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

All,

Awh me, I surely earned my user name today, I just now figured out what was meant by resizing and how to do that.

Yours M i
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

No worries MI.

Here's another method that may help you when it comes to copying and pasting:

If you double click on a word in most programs, the whole word will be copied/selected. If you triple click, you'll get even more, usually an entire paragraph. You can then right click and select Copy. Or you can just go to were you want to paste and middle click.

Hope that might come in handy.
jchelpau

Post by jchelpau »

With using the keyboard more I would suggest using something like a tiling window manager where you use the keyboard to select, focus and resize Windows. You could also try and set your mouse sensitivity to be useful for large movements that you can make then use keyboard bindings to move the mouse by fine increments.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Two things popped into my mind as possible helpers for you.

One is speech-to-text for writing. Simply put, whatever you say is converted to text. I looked into this some time ago, but didn't really find anything that worked all that well. There may have come improvements or new software in the meantime of which I am unaware.

Secondly, I wonder if head tracking or eye tracking for mouse control might help. I know that one can build a headtracker for about $15. I've seen it used in games, but trying to pinpoint a mouse pointer might be asking a bit much. Eye tracking might prove a bit more useful.

Best of luck to you.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Some years ago when David Pogue was still the featured tech writer for the New York Times he wrote about having developed carpal tunnel syndrome, and his daily reliance on Dragon voice-input software. This Youtube review gives a lighthearted idea of it (Amazon is listing older versions for substantially less):

https://www.nytimes.com/video/technolog ... ng-11.html

It would require moving to Windows or Mac. A quick googling of Linux alternatives doesn't turn up comparably sophisticated software. Best of luck.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

A good friend used Dragon Naturally Speaking and swore by it. Windwoes only though, so cannot advise on any other variants.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Beginner Questions”