About mint-fortune

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Revontulet
Level 1
Level 1

About mint-fortune

Post by Revontulet »

Hello partners !

First of all, if I'm posting in this section, is beacuse I'm a newbie, so, I hope you have enough patience for me :)
So, let's attack the problem.

I tried to upgrade my Linux Mint Felicia 6 by downloading an upgrade package. The package warns that the process isn't safe and can crack my O.S. if something goes wrong.
So, like it's obvious, I've cancelled the process.
After that, every time I open the Konsole/Terminal, appears the following message:
bash: /usr/bin/mint-fortune: No existe el fichero ó directorio // "The file or directory doesn't exist"
So, now the facts I've activated for Konsole in the first Mint start, doesn't appear anymore, instead, appears this message.

What can I do ?

Thanks

terdon
Level 4
Level 4

Re: About mint-fortune

Post by terdon »

Hi, for some reason you seem to have deleted the fortunes program. This is no big deal, it is just those qute messages that appear when you open a terminal. The simplest way to fix this would be to remove fortunes from your bash settings:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/bash.bashrc

Look for a line like this (at the end of the file):

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/mint-fortune 
and either delete it, or comment it (add a "#" at the beginning of the line). After that, fortunes will not be called by bash and you should have no more error messages.

Elep.Repu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elep.Repu »

As far as I know, this line should do it automatically,
sed -i "/\/usr\/bin\/mint-fortune/d" /etc/bash.bashrc

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

yep, but you'll need sudo powers still
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

Return to “Newbie Questions”