How to use unused space of usb stick [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

How to use unused space of usb stick [SOLVED]

Post by aditya02 »

Ok so I have a 8gb usb stick and burned linux mint 19.1 iso image on it to install linux mint on my hdd. I have almost half space left on usb stick.
How can i use rest of the space to store my personal data on the usb stick?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to use unused space of usb stick

Post by pbear »

Well, it can be done but it's complicated. Frankly, you'd be better off not worrying about it for the time being.

Important to know. You want to keep that USB with the live boot ISO, as that's your fall back if something goes wrong. When all else fails, you boot the live USB and generally can repair the installed system from there. For example, you can restore a Timeshift snapshot that way. Also run fsck, a file check utility, check partitions with GParted, open log files, etc.

Later, if you want to get fancy, you could set up a special system recovery USB using MultiSystem. You burn the ISO like before, but can give it persistence so you have a place to save settings and files. It comes with several useful system recovery tools, including PLoP Boot Manager, Super Grub2 and Smart Boot Manager. Moreover, it’s easy to include ISOs for other tools; I have Clonezilla Live and System Rescue. Here's an article including screenshots and installation instructions. The article is a few years old, but the instructions are still valid (I just used them to install in a 19.1 test box).

As I said, though, that's advanced stuff. I recommend you not tackle it right now. You've got other things to learn which are more important.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

aditya02 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 pm Ok so I have a 8gb usb stick and burned linux mint 19.1 iso image on it to install linux mint on my hdd. I have almost half space left on usb stick.
You either have to keep it dedicated to the Mint 19.1 bootable iso or erase it and use the stick for simple file storage.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

Ok thank you for replies.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

aditya02 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:17 pm Ok so I have a 8gb usb stick and burned linux mint 19.1 iso image on it to install linux mint on my hdd. I have almost half space left on usb stick.
For my 8GB stick:
brian@desktop:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
fd0 2:0 1 4K 0 disk
sda 8:0 0 149.1G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 16.8G 0 part /
├─sda2 8:2 0 5.6G 0 part /var
├─sda3 8:3 0 1.9G 0 part [SWAP]
└─sda4 8:4 0 124.9G 0 part /home
sdb 8:16 1 7.5G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 1 1.8G 0 part

sdb is the stick.

Now partition the free space on the stick with

Code: Select all

sudo cfdisk
Afterwards:

sdb 8:16 1 7.5G 0 disk
├─sdb1 8:17 1 1.8G 0 part
└─sdb2 8:18 1 5.7G 0 part

Format sdb2:

Code: Select all

sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb2
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

aditya02 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:38 am Ok thank you for replies.
Nothing was solved. :D
--
Brian.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

brian_p wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:52 am Nothing was solved. :D
Sometimes 'solved' means 'my question was answered'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Glosoli

Re: How to use unused space of usb stick [SOLVED]

Post by Glosoli »

I usually create two partitions on my USB (32gb). I create a 2gb partition to burn the mint iso, and the other one to store my personal data.
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

Glosoli wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:37 pm I usually create two partitions on my USB (32gb). I create a 2gb partition to burn the mint iso, and the other one to store my personal data.
does it work? how did you do that?
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Hi aditya02,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

You did create a bootable USB flash drive that you used to install Mint 19.1 on your computer's hard drive. Leaving it as is, you can take it to any modern computer and have a live session of Mint 19.1

If your goal is to start saving additional files on the flash drive while keeping it bootable, this can't be done in its current state.

If you no longer need the flash drive to be bootable and just want to save files, you can format it, add partitions as suggested by other forum members if you want. Your original Mint.iso file you downloaded can be placed on the flash drive along with other files, but it won't boot.

Your other option, which pbear spoke about, is to create a bootable drive with persistence. If you were able to do this, it would only boot on the computer you created it on. It could be used as an external drive to add files from other computers or your own. If you're interested in this task this forum topic could help: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=287471
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

kevin987 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:11 am You did create a bootable USB flash drive that you used to install Mint 19.1 on your computer's hard drive. Leaving it as is, you can take it to any modern computer and have a live session of Mint 19.1
Indeed.
If your goal is to start saving additional files on the flash drive while keeping it bootable, this can't be done in its current state.
The current state can altered by repartitioning as described at

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=288077#p1595442.

Why should it be thought this would make Mint on the stick unbootable?
--
Brian.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

brian_p wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:23 am The current state can altered by repartitioning as described at

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=288077#p1595442.

Why should it be thought this would make Mint on the stick unbootable?
Sounds good. If you've tested it and it works then it's something new I've learned.

I will give this a go myself. Thanks for the heads up :mrgreen:
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Tested to work.

For completeness, I had better say I put the iso on the stick with