[SOLVED] individual file selection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] individual file selection

Post by PartsAbuser »

Hey all,
Is is possible to select a file, within a folder, without actually opening the file?
Thanks,
Vince
P.S. I'm using Mint 19 Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: individual file selection

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can use ctrl key to select a single or multiple files in Kaja or Nemo.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Hi Vince,

I assume you want to make it a double mouse click to open files, instead of a single click.

Open your file manager.

Left click on Edit (which should be at the top left).

Choose Preferences (at bottom of menu).

In the new display box, choose the Behavior tab.

You should have single click and double click options there.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PartsAbuser »

Hi Kevin,
I'm actually using single click mousing. My problem is that if I want to highlight a file, I have to actually click on it, which opens it. In Windows, there's a bit of white space, in what could be considered the far left column (a small, unmarked sliver of a column), where I could click to bring focus to the window and its contents, then I would move to the right and the file would automatically highlight. No such space seems to exist in Nemo so, how does one go about highlighting a file without actually opening it?
Thanks for your time,
Vince
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

My mum uses one click file opening on her Mint Cinnamon laptop and when setting it up for her I had to get used to it, I just held down the CTRL button and then left clicked on the file/folder that I wanted to select, not sure if this is the best or easiest way but it worked perfectly well for me.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if you have one click all you need to do to select a file is hover the mouse over it for a few milliseconds. then you have to make sure if the mouse is dragged over some other icons that you move it fast so that the selection will not focus on another icon
PartsAbuser
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PartsAbuser »

Gibbs,
Holding down control seems to be the ticket.

Trytip,
Hovering seems to have no effect on selecting a file. It does highlight it but, the moment you drift off, the focus follows the mouse, and that's with or without the CTRL button pressed.

Thank you both for responding,
Vince

Return to “Beginner Questions”