@ sign on Lenovo g505 doesn't work - SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snugthejoiner

@ sign on Lenovo g505 doesn't work - SOLVED

Post by snugthejoiner »

I've loaded Mint 19 successfully on my Lenovo g505. Unfortunately, the @ sign does not work - whether using the upper case, the FN key, or the ALT key. I don't think this is a Mint issue; the Lenovo g505 has weird key assignments.

Is there a way in Linux to assign the @ sign to an FN key or some other key?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: @ sign on Lenovo g505 doesn't work

Post by kato181 »

snugthejoiner wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:29 pm I've loaded Mint 19 successfully on my Lenovo g505. Unfortunately, the @ sign does not work - whether using the upper case, the FN key, or the ALT key. I don't think this is a Mint issue; the Lenovo g505 has weird key assignments.

Is there a way in Linux to assign the @ sign to an FN key or some other key?
Have you tried holding the shift key then hitting the @ key?
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I think that it might depend on which keyboard setting you used.
I am on a English/Thai keyboard.
If I set the keyboard to English USA then the @ works fine.
If I set it to English UK then I have to use Shift " (the key next to the Enter key) to get @. The uppercase 2 key just gives me "...
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

RIH wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 am I think that it might depend on which keyboard setting you used.
I am on a English/Thai keyboard.
If I set the keyboard to English USA then the @ works fine.
If I set it to English UK then I have to use Shift " (the key next to the Enter key) to get @. The uppercase 2 key just gives me "...
The standard keyboard setting by default is English USA,(QWERTY) but you have the option of selecting what keyboard you want on installation. I don't know what language or keyboard layout is in your country, but most english keyboard layouts mostly use English USA, I live in OZ, and although there in NO keyboard layout for here we just go with the default, the British layout is similar to USA so they use English UK.
I'm only assuming that because you have a English/Thai keyboard there would be conflicting keys.
snugthejoiner

Post by snugthejoiner »

RTH:

PROBLEM SOLVED. THANK YOU. The Shift " worked to get the @ sign. How you figured that out is beyond me. Thanks again!
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

snugthejoiner wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:22 pm RTH:

PROBLEM SOLVED. THANK YOU. The Shift " worked to get the @ sign. How you figured that out is beyond me. Thanks again!
Persistence... then a good memory :D
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

snugthejoiner wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:22 pm RTH:

The shift key is used to enable the characters above the numbers, always has and always will. That is the key combination, enabling caps lock only gives you capital letters, it does not enable the characters above the numbers.
Glad you got it to work, don't forget to mark the subject as Solved, that way others won't waste their time contributing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”