Installed 18.3, unsure about updates.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Upton
Level 2
Level 2

Installed 18.3, unsure about updates.

Post by Upton »

I installed 18.3 Mint:

Code: Select all

changeling@changeling-MS ~ $ inxi -Sxxx
System:    Host: changeling-MS Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: lightdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
changeling@changeling ~ $

However in the update manager it references a new kernel 4.10.0-38 and some other updates that I have no idea what are. They don't appear to have anything to do with the new one I have 4.15.0-45. I don't know the command to list all the updates in the update manager so I can show them here. Can someone tell me how to do it? I don't know how to handle this situation. I am thinking that the kernel numbers increase as the newest updates are created, is this correct, if so I have the latest kernel active now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installed 18.3, unsure about updates.

Post by kevin987 »

Hi Upton,

There's nothing wrong. I'm running Mint 17.3 and occasionally get a kernel module for 3.16 since that used to be the kernel that was active, but kernel 4.4 has replaced it.

You probably had the 4.10 series originally but have since upgraded to 4.15

Why would you be concerned about "some other updates". They are there for a reason.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Upton wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 pm I installed 18.3 Mint:

changeling@changeling-MS ~ $ inxi -Sxxx
System:    Host: changeling-MS Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: lightdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
changeling@changeling ~ $

However in the update manager it references a new kernel 4.10.0-38 and some other updates that I have no idea what are. They don't appear to have anything to do with the new one I have 4.15.0-45. I don't know the command to list all the updates in the update manager so I can show them here. Can someone tell me how to do it? I don't know how to handle this situation. I am thinking that the kernel numbers increase as the newest updates are created, is this correct, if so I have the latest kernel active now.
Kernels updates are only released after heavy testing, and are there for patches, program file updates, security etc. You should install all mint updates, they don't happen all the time but most updates are for different types of cpu's, like Ryzen, video cards etc, you are not forced to install them, but they are available for a reason, if you want your system to purr like a kitten. Just a small note, linux updates are NOT like windoz where they install nothing but crap and then stuff the system and then try to fix it with more updates.
To check what kernel you have just do uname -r
Upton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Upton »

I know what kernel I am using, look at the 1st paragraph in this post (above), Thanks.

I am running dual operating systems Ubuntu and Mint, I believe what is confusing me is the update manager lists updates with the Ubuntu name so I don't know if they are right or wrong ! Why can't Mint put their name on the updates designed for Mint, I know that Mint uses a lot of Ubuntu file names but it just confuses the heck out of people and me!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi Upton.

All but one of the default repositories are Ubuntu repos. Only one is Linux Mint. It's very common to have ubuntu in the file name such as:

binutils/xenial-updates,xenial-security 2.26.1-1ubuntu1~16.04.8 amd64 [upgradable from: 2.26.1-1ubuntu1~16.04.7]
To see everything upgradable in the terminal, type apt list --upgradable

I am not sure about the 4.10.0-38 update. That was probably the kernel when you installed 18.3, and maybe it's just header files, or libc-dev files?

Hope that helps a little.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

MrEen wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:36 pm I am not sure about the 4.10.0-38 update. That was probably the kernel when you installed 18.3, and maybe it's just header files, or libc-dev files?

Hope that helps a little.
Hi MrEen,

Mint 18.3 originally came with the 4.10 kernel series, but has been superceded by kernel series 4.15

From time to time the original kernel series will get a patch, because it's still part of the base system. This patch though will not remove the newer kernel series. It's just something the Mint team has deemed as necessary.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

kevin987 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:16 pm
Hi MrEen,

Mint 18.3 originally came with the 4.10 kernel series, but has been superceded by kernel series 4.15

From time to time the original kernel series will get a patch, because it's still part of the base system. This patch though will not remove the newer kernel series. It's just something the Mint team has deemed as necessary.
I think I just figured out (so my brain doesn't hurt.) The OP must have a 4.10 kernel still installed, but not active. I always keep my kernels cleaned up so I don't get offered that update. I'm still on 18.3 as well.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

MrEen wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:27 pm I think I just figured out (so my brain doesn't hurt.) The OP must have a 4.10 kernel still installed, but not active. I always keep my kernels cleaned up so I don't get offered that update. I'm still on 18.3 as well.
You can use: sudo purge-old-kernels

If that utility isn't installed, then install: sudo apt-get install bikeshed and then it should work.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Upton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Upton »

Thanks to all I will make use of suggestions immediately.
Upton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Upton »

kevin987 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:33 pm
MrEen wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:27 pm I think I just figured out (so my brain doesn't hurt.) The OP must have a 4.10 kernel still installed, but not active. I always keep my kernels cleaned up so I don't get offered that update. I'm still on 18.3 as well.
You can use: sudo purge-old-kernels

If that utility isn't installed, then install: sudo apt-get install bikeshed and then it should work.
I installed bikeshed, then sent sudo purge-old-kernels but received a note "command not found".

Are you sure the purge-old-kernels is the correct term command?

changeling@changeling-MS ~ $ sudo purge-old-kernels
[sudo] password for changeling: 
sudo: purge-old-kernels: command not found
changeling@changeling-MS- ~ $
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Upton wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm .
You can also use the update manage itself to remove old kernels. Open the update manager and click on "View/Linux Kernels and in that window you can select the ones you want to remove.
kernels.png
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Upton wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm I installed bikeshed, then sent sudo purge-old-kernels but received a note "command not found".
Are you sure the purge-old-kernels is the correct term command?
If bikeshed didn't work, then try:
sudo apt install byobu
then:
sudo purge-old-kernels
You can remove them manually one at a time as HaveaMint points out.
purge old kernels gets rid of them all at once, except the current one and the one used before that.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Upton
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Upton »

Thanks to all, it is working fine now.

Return to “Beginner Questions”