[Solved] Verifying ISO

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Verifying ISO

Post by sdcougar »

I downloaded mint 19 64/Cinnamon

These instructions don't work. I cannot download the files. They open in a browser window when you click on them. No option to download. >

"How to verify ISO images"

This page explains how to verify their integrity and authenticity.

Preparation

1. Create a directory called "ISO" in your home directory.

2. Move the ISO image you downloaded in this directory.

3. Download the following files and move them into the "ISO" directory.
File Description
sha256sum.txt Contains the SHA256 sums to check the integrity of the ISO images.
sha256sum.txt.gpg Signed by the Linux Mint team to check the authenticity of the sha256sum.txt file.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lenovo G50 AMD A8 Mint 19.2 64 bit Cinnamon
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Verifying ISO

Post by rickNS »

I've never done it by the "book" seemed more complicated than necessary.

I would just create a file, call it what ever you want, ("mint19check" for example) and copy into it, the hash from the website in this case (mint-19-cinnamon-64) is;
41dd237ed33a4cc5865ef52cd92b479cded0a9341956de4d6adb794e9c1c10a9

The open in a terminal, the folder where the iso you want to check is, and run
sha256sum linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit.iso

Wait for it...then copy the terminal output to the file I just created placing it directly under the line that is already there so it is very easy to visually compare. If it checks out delete the "mint19check" file.

It just came up in another thread that also checking the key signing thing is not 100% necessary, I've never done it myself.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=288200

That's just my way.

EDIT to add exact hash, and command
Last edited by rickNS on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

sdcougar wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:11 pmI cannot download the files. They open in a browser window when you click on them. No option to download.
Surely you've downloaded something off the internet before. Same drill. Right-click the link. A context menu will pop up. In Firefox and Chrome, one of the options will be "Save link as ..." If you use another browser, it has something similar. Selecting the option brings up a dialogue box where you choose where to save the verification files. Will take only seconds (they're tiny). Once saved, you can copy or move them anywhere you like.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

sdcougar wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:11 pm I downloaded mint 19 64/Cinnamon

These instructions don't work. I cannot download the files. They open in a browser window when you click on them. No option to download. >

"How to verify ISO images"

This page explains how to verify their integrity and authenticity.

Preparation

1. Create a directory called "ISO" in your home directory.

2. Move the ISO image you downloaded in this directory.

3. Download the following files and move them into the "ISO" directory.
File Description
sha256sum.txt Contains the SHA256 sums to check the integrity of the ISO images.
sha256sum.txt.gpg Signed by the Linux Mint team to check the authenticity of the sha256sum.txt file.
If you d/l the iso from linuxmint website, then you shouldn't need the sha256sum as all the iso's are verified before being available.
If you need them then they are available on their website to d/l. Use the torrent to d/l it.
Quetzal

Post by Quetzal »

Like rickNS I just use the terminal - and for the same ease of use reason - assuming the website provides the original SHA256 hash reading to check against.

Open terminal and type

sha256sum [drag your ISO or other file here] - after the space

Press 'Enter'

and check the result against the original hash.

For other hashes use 'MD5sum' 'sha512sum' etc.

Return to “Beginner Questions”