problem starting windows 10 setup from bootable usb stick

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ivan85

problem starting windows 10 setup from bootable usb stick

Post by ivan85 »

I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon and I'm trying to install Windows 10 from bootable usb stick with Windows 10 on it.

When I press ESC before Linux Mint start and choose USB drive from the menu nothing happens and PC automatically load Mint instead.

How can I make my computer start to run Windows setup?

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
philotux

Re: problem starting windows 10 setup from bootable usb stick

Post by philotux »

Could it be that your Win 10 USB boots in UEFI mode while your Bios is set to boot in Legacy /CSM mode?
ivan85

Post by ivan85 »

How can I check and/or change those settings?
philotux

Post by philotux »

Right after powering up your machine you would need to press one of the function keys or sometimes even esc or delete to get to the Bios settings. This depends on the make/model of your computer. Once in the Bios navigate to the boot section and check the boot mode there.

BTW, are you going to replace Mint with windows or this will be a dualboot installation? It's usually much easier to install Windows first and then Linux. At any rate both of the systems should be installed in one and the same mode.

Return to “Beginner Questions”