Use PC to pass-through sound

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minty00

Use PC to pass-through sound

Post by Minty00 »

I want to use my PC monitor to play the Playstation but it doesn't have speakers.

I plugged the Playstation sound straight into my PC speakers but now it only plays at full volume.

So, I plugged the Playstation sound into my PC using the 3.5mm "mic" input.

Naively, I hoped I'd instantly hear sound! Unfortunately not. In Settings-Sound-Input the input level goes up and down when sounds are outputted from the Playstation. I guess this shows that the soundcard input is functional and that Linux Mint knows about it etc... how can I get these sounds to then be heared through the speakers?!

Thanks for your suggestions!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Use PC to pass-through sound

Post by phd21 »

HI Minty00,

You want to use the PC's "line-in" input jack for this rather than the "mic" input jack. Then you can use the volume control and sound settings (or pulse audio volume control) to control it.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Minty00

Post by Minty00 »

Thank you for your reply phd21.

I have tried this already and the result is the same. The indication of input is given in Settings but no sounds. Volume in every sub setting is set to 50% which is usually more than enough to get the neighbours banging on the walls!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Minty00,

You are welcome...

Have you tested the speaker out (line out) cable from the play station with speakers or stereo, etc... to see if it is ok?

Depending upon your Linux PC system's hardware configuration, you may have to select the input source (line-in) or tell an application to use the "line-in" input source. You can use QasMixer to enable and select Line-In as the current input source.

FYI: Install "pulse audio volume control" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". There are some really nice graphical (GUI) programs for sound that start with "Qas", like the fantastic "Qasmixer", in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that you can install and use. Sound "Mixers" can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with them. If you bring up "Qasmixer" and make it fullscreen, on the right side you will have mixer devices where you can control your system sound. If you do not see the mixer devices, hit "F6". The mixer item "sysdefault" will show all installed sound card devices, and you will have various options to adjust various volume controls using "sliders" which you can turn off and on using the "dot" below the volume slider. There are also various other check boxes below that you can use, and depending upon your sound card(s) that sometimes includes headphone checkboxes and or sliders as well, like "Headphone Jack Sense".

QasTools: Applications
http://xwmw.org/qastools/applications.html

The applications included are:
- qasconfig - browser for the alsa configuration tree
- qashctl - mixer for alsa's high level control interface
- qasmixer - desktop mixer with features similar to alsamixer

Qasmixer is a desktop mixer application for alsa's "simple mixer interface" and offers features similar to alsamixer. it also features a sytem tray icon with basic mixer functionality.

Hope this helps ...
QasMixer_Enable_LineIn.jpg
SoundSettings1.jpg
PulseAudioVolumeControl1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Minty00

Post by Minty00 »

Thank you for your reply.

I feel like a defector! Mint has worked for me flawlessly but I decided to give Ubuntu a try because I haven't tried it since it first came out.

In Ubuntu 18.10 this command got around the problem I was having.

Code: Select all

pactl load-module module-loopback
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Minty00,

You are welcome...

If that command worked under Ubuntu, it might work under Linux Mint as well since it is also based on Ubuntu.

QasMixer at the bottom also has a loopback option.

FYI: I have never had to use that command you mention or to enable loopback to listen to anything plugged into my "line-in" on my sound card. I only have to check that the "line-in" is enabled and the volume is at a good level and using something like QasMixer helps with that. Or, selecting "line-in" in applications that use sound with selectable inputs.

Return to “Beginner Questions”