System suspend sort of working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Holmes177

System suspend sort of working

Post by Holmes177 »

I have a HP DV5000 laptop(dual boot with XP). I attempted Mint Cinnamon 19.1, but it crashed. Installed 18.3 & I think it will do all that I need it to do. Problem is with system suspend. If I use the menu/power/suspend, it works as it should & wakes on the touch of the power button. However, when I close the lid on the laptop, it does not suspend(power light on steady), but he screen shuts off. When I open the lid, the screen stays black & computer will not respond. Have to do a hard shutdown & reboot. I have checked the operation in XP, just to ensure that the lid sensor is working & it works fine in XP.
I have it set to suspend when closing lid in power management, and in system info it is showing using the AMD/ATI RS430M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200] (prog-if 00[VGA controller])
I know that suspend/standby has been an issue for all time it seems, and I guess I can live with it, but if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Holmes177

Re: System suspend sort of working

Post by Holmes177 »

Just an update. I found that if I select "perform the lid functions even if connected to external monitor" that it will go into suspend mode ONE time, and recover as it should with a log in screen. But the next time you close the lid, it does nothing. Deselect the "perform the lid functions even if connected to external monitor" & it will suspend normally for ONE time, then reverts to doing nothing on lid close. Weird!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

What happens if you suspend from Menu then close the lid? That's how I do it anyway, just cuz I always have.
Not only works (no surprise) but wakes up automatically when I open the lid.
Holmes177

Post by Holmes177 »

Yes, if I suspend from menu, I can close the lid. When opening the lid, it just asks for password & all is good

Return to “Beginner Questions”