Linux Mint or LMDE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajm

Linux Mint or LMDE

Post by ajm »

I have been using Mint exclusively for a year now and love it, but recently have learned that Ubuntu is planning on going with snaps more and might forego apt all together. Will this affect Mint, if so, is it time to move to LMDE? I get the feeling LMDE isn't quite as easy, or I will end up with a bunch of PPAs just to keep up and maintain compatibility with things.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint or LMDE

Post by kevin987 »

Hi ajm,

LMDE is basically the same as Linux Mint in how it functions. The updates are handled the same way through the Update Manager. You'll have the Software Manager and Synaptic Package Manager just like with Mint.

The only real difference is you will only use Debian repositories and not Ubuntu. Some of your software might not be as up to date with Debian, but it's still good. Debian is more conservative in its approach.

Edit: I forgot to add, only the Cinnamon desktop is available with LMDE.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

PS: No, PPA's are for Mint's Ubuntu compatible versions, not for LMDE.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Yes, LMDE is less friendly to the relatively inexperienced because it's Debian based. Debian is meant for experts, unlike Ubuntu (though many experts use it) and that's reflected in the Debian support docs. The LMDE section here isn't as good as the rest of this forum because there are much fewer users posting.

As mentioned, no, no ppa's. Debian doesn't support them. You also get older solftware versions than Ubuntu based Mint. Some people think no ppas is a good thing however.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ajm

Post by ajm »

Thanks for the replies. Just a little worried about maintaining my needs should the move need to happen. I require proprietary drivers, OpenCL and CUDA libraries, restricted codecs and so on, which is easy enough to get with LM 19.1, but I'm not quite comfortable with "taking a step back" with Debian so to speak. Debian is a VERY stable base, but I understand that it can be a pain just to get things to work like in a LTS branch of Ubuntu, and Mint makes things easier still in some cases, and the tools the Mint team have developed are great. I like to spend more time producing than configuring, or at least I think I do, since I have found tinkering in GNU/Linux fun as well. I'm sure when I break something that will change :), and it seems that moving to a Debian base would tempt that fate.

Sticking with Mint, but keeping and eye on Ubuntu for changes.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

You can always create a partition on your hard drive to test LMDE 3. That's more of a true test than Virtual or a Live USB/DVD.

I have 3 extra partitions used to test distros when the mood suits me. 8)
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

LMDE is pretty stable and based on my observations, it needs less frequent updating compared to Linux Mint. This is good for those who have data cap in their internet plan. But if you need or prefer having the most recent versions of the software you use, LMDE may not be for you. If you think Debian stable does not keep up with the latest and greatest (compared to Ubuntu), the same with LMDE.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

ajm wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 am I have been using Mint exclusively for a year now and love it, but recently have learned that Ubuntu is planning on going with snaps more and might forego apt all together.
Where did you get that idea? :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ajm

Post by ajm »

From this link. Not sure how much stock to put into it.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu ... fault-snap
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

ajm wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:56 am From this link. Not sure how much stock to put into it.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu ... fault-snap
That's just a proposal, from somebody without any official status within Canonical. Highly unlikely that it'll ever be approved (and rightly so: it's silly). :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Beginner Questions”