[SOLVED] 'Extras'

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hattpa
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] 'Extras'

Post by hattpa »

This isn't stupid, but may be a little dumb :D
Under Ubuntu / Xubuntu (when I used them) one of the first things i did was install the relevant restricted-extras, but there isn't one for Mint. Can I use Ubuntu as Mint is based on that (much slicker though)
Last edited by Moem on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you, in such a way that it can be seen on the forum overview page; you can do this for your own topics. Thanks!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 'Extras'

Post by xenopeek »

The Linux Mint multimedia codecs (package mint-meta-codecs) can be installed through the welcome screen (in your menu). It's under first steps.

As far as I can tell the ubuntu-restricted-extras installs a subset of this but should be largely the same. ubuntu-restricted-extras recommends to install ttf-mscorefonts-installer which you'd have to install manually on Linux Mint if you really want 24 year old fonts that serve no purpose on a modern system. mint-meta-codecs also install adobe-flashplugin which I disagree should be installed on any system so you may want to remove that one afterwards.
hattpa
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] 'Extras'

Post by hattpa »

Thanks xenopeek, I don't get that option in First Steps :-(
But, I went into the software manager and searched for mint-meta-codecs and apparently it's already installed :-)
Result
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Depends on your version how the welcome screen looks. It might even be smart and not show things already installed? I don't know :)
hattpa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hattpa »

Hey Buddy, it's all there so no problem. But thanks for the pointer, didn't know which package(s) to look for so couldn't easily check
Again thanks for the help
Mark Twain

Return to “Newbie Questions”