Linux installation/grub rescue error

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gidado12

Linux installation/grub rescue error

Post by gidado12 »

Ok so i am very new to linux. I installed linux mint on my computer with the intention of dual booting it alongside windows 10. I created a live usb using my external harddrive. Everything seemed to work out fine except for when i try to boot into my computer, i get grub rescue error "error:no such device". But when i plug in the external harddrive i used to install linux mint and restart my computer, i get a grub menu where i can either boot into windows 10 or mint. So basically to use my computer i have to connect my external harddrive.
I think i followed a tutorial on youtube where it says to use "insmod normal" command on grub rescue, but that doesnt work on my pc. The way i got my computer to work was to use a live usb containing windows 10 to fix my computer but at the expense of not being able to boot into mint. Help!!! Pleasee!!! What could be be problem and how do i solve it so i could get an option to boot into both operating systems.
Ps: i was unable to shrink partition in my windows 10 so i think i installed both mint and win10 on the same partition, not sure tho.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux installation/grub rescue error

Post by Seadreamer »

It sounds like you installed Mint on your removable disk. If you have enough room you should create another partition on your installed drive and use it to install mint. There is probably no reason it can't work the way you did it as long as your removable disk is connected.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games

Return to “Beginner Questions”