Is it safe to use older versions of Linux Mint that are no longer supported?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wizard Mafia

Is it safe to use older versions of Linux Mint that are no longer supported?

Post by Wizard Mafia »

I have an HP Mini 2133, which at this point is virtually obsolete. I recently installed Isadora 9 on it, and it works just fine. I want to know, if its safe to use (in 2019), if I plan to process several purchases on various websites? The thing is, I cant seem to update Firefox, and lets me do very as is, I think it could help me out a bit at work, however I don't know if it would be safe to use numerous different credit cards online on an OS that is no longer supported.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Is it safe to use older versions of Linux Mint that are no longer supported?

Post by Pierre »

since my older laptop, that died recently - memory corrupt issue,, LM05 LTS .. ..
it's now my other old Laptop, that is still running LM13 & is now my Favourite Laptop.

now, both of those machines rarely went on-line, even though their WiFi card did work okay.
& on both machines - the version of Firefox was Updated Manually, by myself.
8)

this doesn't make the machine any more safe on-line, though:
- it just stops various web sites, from complaining that your web browser, is too old.

in the end, it's Your Decision, as to Whether that older system, is safe to use,
- for both on-line shopping & on-line banking.
as most folks will advise that an older operating system,, from anyone - is un-safe when on-line.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is it safe to use older versions of Linux Mint that are no longer supported?

Post by kevin987 »

What you're doing isn't a good idea. There's no telling how many security vulnerabilities there are.

Try Peppermint OS. http://peppermintos.com/

There are others you can try, Search for lightweight linux disto.

Your max RAM is 2 GB. Hopefully you have that.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

I think Peppermint is pae which may be a problem for an old machine. Try Puppy Linux:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20a ... tarted.htm
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Wizard Mafia wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 pm I don't know if it would be safe to use numerous different credit cards online on an OS that is no longer supported.
No, that is not safe. Please do not use that machine online.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Thanks for the mention of Peppermint. I downloaded it and installed it in a couple of my old Dell mini9 (910) netbooks with the oddball 8GB SSD's. It looks a lot like XFCE and in fact has a lot of the XFCE features by name in it. Final install is 5.7 GB. Using a 32 or 64 GB flash drive in it makes for a lot of storage room. I am using XFCE in the 910s that have 16GB SSD in them. BTW I could not figure ut how to install Puppy linux.
hattpa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hattpa »

You could also try Lubuntu (peppermint is based on it)
It has even less system requirements
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu#Lubuntu_18.04_LTS
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Tomgin5 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:41 am Thanks for the mention of Peppermint. I downloaded it and installed it in a couple of my old Dell mini9 (910) netbooks with the oddball 8GB SSD's. It looks a lot like XFCE and in fact has a lot of the XFCE features by name in it. Final install is 5.7 GB. Using a 32 or 64 GB flash drive in it makes for a lot of storage room. I am using XFCE in the 910s that have 16GB SSD in them. BTW I could not figure ut how to install Puppy linux.
You're really not supposed to install Puppy Linux. You can save your settings to the hard drive or usb for the next live session.

I did install it one time and by the 3rd bootup it simply broke and was unusable.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

kevin987 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:25 pm
Try Peppermint OS. http://peppermintos.com/
another lightweight system is:
anti-X:
https://antixlinux.com/
OR
MX-linux:
https://mxlinux.org
as both are designed for those older PCs.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi
For what it's worth I agree that Antix is excellent for older hardware.
I've used it on an old (2010) laptop and for most tasks it runs just fine.
Hope this helps.
Regards
D
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You may want to take a look at this unofficial LXDE spin of Mint 18.3 as an alternative to Lubuntu:

https://www.linuxmintusers.de/index.php ... ic=45551.0

I haven't installed this on my old netbook running 17.3 Xfce but I'm pretty sure I'm going to soon. I like LXDE, it's straightforward, the file manager is actually very good, and it's FAST.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
blueskies1977

Post by blueskies1977 »

I also have an HP2133 (well two of them actually) and am desperately searching for a modern lightweight distro that supports the obscure sound architecture of the mininote. I love the mininote as it is tiny but with a decent keyboard and rugged.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you could try, either of the above mentioned, lightweight systems.
:)

Return to “Beginner Questions”