Running Powertop automatically on boot.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Metal Mick
Level 2
Level 2

Running Powertop automatically on boot.

Post by Metal Mick »

HI all,

I have an Inspiron 7000 series 15" laptop. If left to its own devices, battery drains in a little over 2.5 hours in Linux. In Windows, things are about 2-3 times better.

When I run Powertop battery life is somewhere above 6 hours which is plenty for me. To get PT to run successfully on boot, I followed:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=232654&p=1233573&h ... p#p1233573

- which works but I find my Logitech mouse/keyboard duo freeze every 20 seconds or so, and given I want to do things like photo editing and writing, this is a pain. I can fix this by unplugging the dongle and plugging it back in again, but would prefer a better way.

I have gone through this guy's guide (a couple of times to make sure I had his syntax correct), and it has not run so far as I can tell - I opened a console to run PT and the tunable settings were unchanged from default.

https://appliedcaffeine.org/powertop-an ... ripts.html

Can anyone help me just refine my first attempt to alleviate the mouse/keyboard issue, or perhaps suggest an alternative process. I tried TLP which surprised me by accomplishing just an extra hour of battery life. On my Alienware, TLP doubled battery life to around 6-7 hours. I have also tried "laptop power tools" but the GUi seems broken.

All responses much appreciated and if I've left any info out, please accept my apologies.
Last edited by Metal Mick on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Running Powertop automatically on boot.

Post by kato181 »

Metal Mick wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:12 pm
HI all,

I have an Inspiron 700 series 15" laptop. If left to its own devices, battery drains in a little over 2.5 hours in Linux. In Windows, things are about 2-3 times better.

When I run Powertop battery life is somewhere above 6 hours which is plenty for me. To get PT to run successfully on boot, I followed:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=232654&p=1233573&h ... p#p1233573

- which works but I find my Logitech mouse/keyboard duo freeze every 20 seconds or so, and given I want to do things like photo editing and writing, this is a pain. I can fix this by unplugging the dongle and plugging it back in again, but would prefer a better way.

I have gone through this guy's guide (a couple of times to make sure I had his syntax correct), and it has not run so far as I can tell - I opened a console to run PT and the tunable settings were unchanged from default.

https://appliedcaffeine.org/powertop-an ... ripts.html

Can anyone help me just refine my first attempt to to alleviate the mouse/keyboard issue, or perhaps suggest an alternative process. I tried TLP which surprised me by accomplishing just an extra hour of battery life. On my Alienware, TLP doubled battery life to around 6-7 hours. I have also tried "laptop power tools" but the GUi seems broken.

All responses much appreciated and if I've left any info out, please accept my apologies.
I have a laptop and I don't use PT..I've never heard of it
Check System Settings > Startup Applications and check to see what is running on bootup.
I'm assuming that you have checked the batteries in the mouse and KB?.
I would say that with PT running, it sounds like it maybe a timeout issue in the setting for mouse/kb if inactive, and once you plug in dongle it's waking it up..Check your settings for that.
Good luck..
Metal Mick
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Metal Mick »

Thanks for the reply Kato 181,

Yes, batteries on both mouse and keyboard are fine.

My query relates not just to the settings for PT, but also making them persist from one boot to the next. I can easily make an adjustment to the settings for PT, but would be happier if the machine could tend to this for me.
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

Metal Mick wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am
Thanks for the reply Kato 181,

Yes, batteries on both mouse and keyboard are fine.

My query relates not just to the settings for PT, but also making them persist from one boot to the next. I can easily make an adjustment to the settings for PT, but would be happier if the machine could tend to this for me.
Try these links:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/112705/ ... -permanent
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... _on_linux/
https://www.pcsuggest.com/linux-power-management-guide/

You would have to add the command to your grub file so it would do it every time you booted.
I don't know what the command is to start PT, but if you know it then add it to grub and it should load.
You could install Grub Optimizer and set the grub setup your way, but there are Pro's and Con's to using it, so I'd suggest reading up on it first.
To edit grub you do the following..
sudo su
nano /etc/default/grub
Don't forget to do..
sudo grub-update, then reboot
Metal Mick
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Metal Mick »

Thanks again, Kato 181.

I suspect I may have seen most of what you've dug out, but I'm grateful for your effort and will go through them slowly.

Cheers,

Michael P

Return to “Newbie Questions”