[SOLVED] Spotlight (or Windows search) equivalent

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wyattbiker
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Spotlight (or Windows search) equivalent

Post by wyattbiker »

I am looking for a Cinnamon or Nemo utility that is similar to Spotlight that searches my user home for both file contents and file names. Something that presents a list and possible previews for text files, pdfs, images. I looked at Cerebro but that does not search text files on the local computer

I know I could use command line, something like,

Code: Select all

$ find ~/ -type f -name "*.txt" -exec grep -lin "python" '{}' \;
but not as convenient.
Any ideas?
Last edited by wyattbiker on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Spotlight (or Windows search) equivalent

Post by phd21 »

Hi wyattbiker,

See this recent post:
Help Installing DocFetcher - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=286373&hilit=fsearch

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
wyattbiker
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: Spotlight (or Windows search) equivalent

Post by wyattbiker »

Hi, DocFetcher seems old so I installed Recoll from repo and seems to do the job.
https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/index.html

Have to figure out the indexing method and set some limits and exclusions. Took about 15 mins to index my home directory. I am running the daemon but would be good to understand how it works. (Is it cron based or real time file watching). I also need to install the plugins for word files and such. Thanks again.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Spotlight (or Windows search) equivalent

Post by phd21 »

HI wyattbiker,

You are welcome...

There are other similar type apps mentioned in my link, but I think all of them require some index creation which can be improved if they have a daemon option. If you are not doing this on a regular basis, then you might not want to have a daemon service running all the time.

The one thing I noticed about recoll (not in daemon mode) was that it creates huge file indexes (in gigabytes) and it did not seem to clear them when run again? Perhaps that was just in my brief testing of Recoll. I had to delete them to save space.

I thought SearchMonkey Java was better.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
wyattbiker
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Spotlight (or Windows search) equivalent

Post by wyattbiker »

I ll keep on eye on the index. It's almost 2GB but it's expected since it indexed lots of python and other junk code files and even databases. I need to slim it down and rerun it, they provide lots of options for configuring. But the daemon is really what I need. Fire and forget and I read they watch inode changes. Not sure how Spotlight does it on a Mac, but this is not rocket science either. I am surprised it's not built in already into Cinnamon. If Linux Desktops for end users are to succeed this is a requirement.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [SOLVED] Spotlight (or Windows search) equivalent

Post by phd21 »

Hi wyattbiker,

There are already various commands and applications to find files. Not every user needs to find something (content) within the files. And, as you just found out there are applications or commands for any Linux user to install that can do both.

My Linux KDE systems have always had both options of finding files and or content within the files using "KFind" and the built-in (baloo) indexing just enable the Search options in the System Settings if they are not already enabled.

FYI: Recoll used 2-4gigbytes for multiple index files each whereas the built-in baloo indexing is using less than 1gigabyte (800+mb) for all the files on my system which is a huge number of files.

Return to “Newbie Questions”