connect to windows network

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tmitch06905

connect to windows network

Post by tmitch06905 »

I am a linux newbie. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I can't find it. I have a Windows 10 desktop and 2 Windows laptops all wi fi networked together so I know the Windows file sharing is good. The network name is Vision. The desktop name is Vision. The files I need to access are located in Vision/users. I installed Mint Mate on a third laptop. I made desktop, documents, photos, etc. in Mint all shared folders. I installed samba. I edited the line workgrooup = workgroup to read workgroup = vision. When that got me nowhere I edited it to read workgroup = vision/users.. Not sure which is correct but I still cannot see the windows desktop named vision. Can you please explain to me what to do. Thank you very much for your response
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: connect to windows network

Post by ralplpcr »

Can your Windows machines "see" your Linux system? If so, then can you detail how are you trying to view the Windows machines from Linux?

I've left my home network as "WORKGROUP", and am able to get to both Linux & Windows machines without much difficulty. From my file manager, I simply type smb://<machine name>/<share name> to quickly find & mount the network share.

So for your case, you might try typing smb://vision/ in your file manager - that would be in the address bar of Caja, Thunar, or Nemo (whichever is appropriate for your environment)
tmitch06905

Post by tmitch06905 »

Thank you Ralpiper for your reply. I can access my linux laptop from the Windows desktop but I cannot access the desktop from the laptop. From the file manager I was able to get a box that said password require for share users on vision, but it is greyed out and i cannot input my password. Any idea why it is greyed out?
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

Is the grey box similar to this image?
Selection_022.png
If so, then it means that you need to enter your name & password *of the Windows share* in order to connect.
You'd want to select "registered user", then enter your Windows account name, change the domain to "vision", and type your password.

I'm on Cinnamon 19.1. Your grey box may appear differently, depending on your version/level of Mint... but the same basic entries should be there.
tmitch06905

Post by tmitch06905 »

This Linux newbie is still having problems. I have a Windows 10 desktop and two Windows laptops all in a wireless windows network. I have a Canon MX922 printer connected to the desktop and can be accessed and used by the laptops through the desktop. The name of my windows network is Vision and the name of the desktop is Vision. I have a third laptop named Toshiba with Linux Mint Cinnamon installed. When I go to the file manager and click on network, windows network and search for smb://vision it does not find anything. When I go to file and connect to server it finds vision and I am able to access all my files on vision. I can also see all Toshiba files from vision. Problem solved, right? Wrong. I am unable to connect my printer to print. It is installed on Toshiba and when I connect to Toshiba from vision I see the printer showing with all the other folders on Toshiba.
When I open the printer on Toshiba it shows it connected to local host. Printer troubleshooter finishes with a box that says there is no obvious solution to this problem When I try to print a test page I get an error “There was an error during the CUPS operation. Operation cancelled.
I believe my problem is I cannot connect to the Windows network even though I can connect to the server and access my files on Vision. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

If your printer is directly connected to Toshiba, which is a Linux system, then there is really no relationship to the Windows network at all. It should be detected by the Linux system, use the Linux driver, and print using CUPS via your USB cable.

If your printer is wireless, then you'd have an entirely different issue. That could be an issue with the driver, an issue with the wireless print server, or one of several other possibilities.

I'd suggest trying to get your printer working via USB first. Start fresh by disconnecting your printer, deleting it from your printers list, and then plugging it back in to let the system re-detect it. Make sure you select the correct printer. On my Cinnamon 19.1 system, I see the model listed as PIXMA MX922, with the driver being "Canon PIXMA MX922 - CUPS + Gutenprint v5.2.13".

If you did that correctly, then you should be able to start printing from Toshiba pretty much right away. You don't need to connect to local host - - that would be via network. Try printing using the "Print Test Page" - - if that works, then you'll know it's installed correctly, at least for the Toshiba system.

Return to “Beginner Questions”