Linux Mint 17.x has reached end of life; upgrade now!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Linux Mint 17.x has reached end of life; upgrade now!

Post by xenopeek »

Heads up for anybody running a Linux Mint 17.x release: it has reached end of life this April 25th. That means that you'll no longer receive (security) updates for your system. To stay safe online please plan accordingly to replace or upgrade your Linux Mint 17.x system asap.

You can see till when Linux Mint releases are supported here: https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php

While we recommend you replace Linux Mint 17.x by installing a newer release of Linux Mint, you may considering upgrading it in place (without reinstalling) to a newer release. See here for links to instructions for the latter: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=235992

If you need help or advice with your situation don't hesitate to make a topic in Installation & Boot section.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mlive

Re: Linux Mint 17.x reaches end of life in April

Post by mlive »

Great still in March as far as I know and very happy with 17.3 except when wi fi goes down...why...update?....so how do I get it back...have tried every thing posted so far ...no go...seems to be present in all the right places ..says its connecting but never does...am on ether presently...any magic solutions??sony vaio 64 thnxs :wink:
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

mlive wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:45 pm any magic solutions??
Try the magic of Mint 19.1. No earthly use in spending time and effort on a system that'll reach end-of-life in a month or so. Utter waste of time. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mlive

Post by mlive »

hate to be waiting for you to untie me hanging upside down with my bits caught in a rabbit trap.....the situation mentioned in the previous post has been resolved...miraculously on its own with some sort of nudging from my end....dont know how when or why...but its working again....thank u dear lord.....
Last edited by Moem on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Crude word removed. This is a family friendly forum.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mlive wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:14 pm ....dont know how when or why...but its working again....thank u dear lord.....
I think he prefers to be called Clem. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

Thanks for the info. What would happen if one sticks with LM17? Apart form security updates, will regular software still be installable via aptitude? Will it be frozen in time after next April? Or will it just not work anymore?

I know the main suggestion to this one will be "just upgrade and forget about it", but I have tried newer versions of Mint, and I actually like 17.3 more than any other. How involved is it to try and merge newer software into an older distro, if at all feasible?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ganamant wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:51 am Thanks for the info. What would happen if one sticks with LM17? Apart form security updates, will regular software still be installable via aptitude? Will it be frozen in time after next April? Or will it just not work anymore?
It will become impossible to install software through the repos, as they will eventually be taken offline.

And to the best of my knowledge, it's generally not possible to use newer software on a distro that's no longer supported.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

I wonder if "Additional Repositories" will continue to update.

I certainly don't expect Rosa and Trusty to continue.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

kevin987 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:01 am I wonder if "Additional Repositories" will continue to update.
That entirely depends on the maintainers of those specific repos, and over time I assume they will stop being updated, one by one.

gm10

Post by gm10 »

If those are PPAs, they will stop updating, launchpad doesn't build for archived releases. But if you're really desperate to get your hands on the official repositories after they're gone, they get archived to this address: http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/, you'd have to manually point your apt configuration to that. It is very strongly discouraged though (and no, you won't ever be receiving updates that way, only access to old, outdated and unsupported software).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:13 amto get your hands on the official repositories after they're gone, they get archived to this address: http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
To be clear, those are indeed frozen in time after April.
ganamant wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:51 amI know the main suggestion to this one will be "just upgrade and forget about it", but I have tried newer versions of Mint, and I actually like 17.3 more than any other. How involved is it to try and merge newer software into an older distro, if at all feasible?
You'd have to compile newer versions from source code or—if newer versions are incompatible with the older library versions on your system (most likely)—you'd have to backport changes from newer versions into the source code of your older versions and then recompile. Considering you probably have around 2,000 packages installed on your system that you'd want to keep up with security fixes, this just isn't feasibler.

It's annoying but for any system connected to a network you should really plan to upgrade. Perhaps try a different edition of Linux Mint 19.x (Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce) and see if you like that better?
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sobieski »

Version 17.3 was/is the best distribution I've used. When I tried out the 18s and 19s, I had annoying issues of being unceremoniously logged out to MDM whenever I mounted or simply opened a partition/drive or certain files. This NEVER occurred with 17.3. I'm rather frustrated and disappointed with these later iterations of what, for me with 17.3, has been an almost totally flawless and trouble-free experience.

I surmised that perhaps some of my hardware had been getting long in the tooth and I even tried an installation of Ubuntu Mate 18, which STILL plagued me with the same above-stated issues. I recently replaced a deceased motherboard with a pristine one with up-to-date RAM and CPU; therefore, I'm concluding the fault/bug/issue is in the software and someone in the coding department is a bit lackadaisical.

If good ol' 17.3 is going to be retired, then it would behoove those powers that be (expert coders for whom I have the greatest of respect and admiration) to take care of these more-than-annoying bugs found in the more recent editions.

Long Live 17.3!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Sobieski wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:11 pm logged out to MDM
MDM has been retired; 19.1 has LightDM. So these issues shouldn't plague a clean installation of Tessa...
Sobieski wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:11 pmLong Live 17.3!
It won't. I advise to install 19.1. :wink:
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sobieski »

I thought I HAD done a clean installation of 19.1. I'll try again soon.

What about the UEFI issues? I've been seeing an absence of Windows 10 in the Mint install even though Windows is on the machine. Is this going to be an issue with 19.1?
Last edited by Sobieski on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

Mint 17.3 is by FAR Mint's very best release ever. Everything just works! And with a LOW memory footprint. Once everyone jumped on the bandwagon and went to GTK3 and Sysyemd, things went downhill with 18.x and 19.x. The Distrowatch hits over the past 2 years confirm this. Everything became more sluggish and required more memory. After 35 years of using PCs and various OS's I do not call that progress. Long live Mint 17.3!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

rbeltz48 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 am Long live Mint 17.3!
As said: it won't. Better adapt to that.... :wink:
JCSenar
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JCSenar »

Maybe we should not say "Long live" but, at least and in my case, I do want to say:

Thank you very much, LM 17!
Si tu consulta ha sido resuelta, por favor, edita tu primer mensaje y añade [SOLUCIONADO] al título. Gracias.
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sobieski »

I also express that gratitude.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 am
rbeltz48 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 am Long live Mint 17.3!
As said: it won't. Better adapt to that.... :wink:
Yes, I think we all get the point, but I also can see that I'm not alone in regretting already LM 17.3. Maybe Mint 17.3 won't live long but, as some have already pointed out, Mint is losing traction among the most popular distros. What if the reason for this decline in popularity was the imminent retirement of 17.3? Could it be the case that more than a few "nostalgic" users are being let down by the performance and overall feel of the newer incarnations of Linux Mint? While I'm all for security updates and bug fixes, I have never liked change for the sake of change, and I'm sure many other users feel the same. LM 17.3 was mature and usable enough and I suppose that many users are feeling disappointed about it being taken away from them and substituted by something that, whilst looking more "modern", whatever that means, is also heavier on resources, especially for older hardware (and being able to use older hardware is what has brought many people from Windows to Linux in the first place). At this point, to compensate for the heavier footprint of LM 19, one could switch form Cinnamon to Mate or Xfce (if one was on Cinnamon to begin with, that is), but I couldn't help feeling forced to make the switch if I ended up having to. Of course, the world is full of distros among which to pick, but being forced to abandon Mint only because newer versions are less appealing would feel like -- you guessed it -- being forced.

Since LM 17 is ( or was/has been/whatever) so popular, why can't it be supported longer like it's been the case with LM 13?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

ganamant wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:43 am Since LM 17 is ( or was/has been/whatever) so popular, why can't it be supported longer?
As Mint 17.x is based on Ubuntu 14.04 (some 90 % of its packages are unchanged upstream Ubuntu), you'd have to ask the Ubuntu developers that. :mrgreen:

Maintaining the EOL upstream Ubuntu packages would be quite impossible for the small Mint team (even if they would want to do so).

Return to “Beginner Questions”